Rusted Woodstock - Worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like some elbow grease and some paint would make it look new, but $1000 seems high. I have to admit though, I'm not familiar with these stoves.

It might be the starting list price but I doubt he paid 2800 for it. I'd look at "ALL" these new interior parts. I see a new stainless combustor scoop but I don't know what else would likely be replaced besides the cat and gaskets. I would look closely for signs of over-firing like warped (or replaced) bypass frame, etc. You could ask the guy what his procedure is on a cold start to see if he seems to know the stove well, and how he runs it. If the stove seems to be in good shape, and you could get it for 700-800, that would be a good deal IMO. If you aren't familiar with these stoves, and if it's the size you need, they are great heaters, burn long and are easy to run. I might go 1000 to get that stove if I had to, since it's got what I want...cat, good fire view, and a great ash-handling system. Cheap replacement parts and good support are a plus as well. Not sure of the best way to go about cleaning and re-painting the stove. Call Woodstock, they'll have good advice.

My opinion. To do it right you'd want to totally disassemble the stove then wire wheel or sandblast and paint. Then install all new gaskets as you put it together.
My reasoning is this. It's possible to take a longer time and strip it without disassembly. But if you go through all that trouble and find leaks afterwards your gonna kick yourself real hard.
Still just my opinion. Soapstone don't appreciate travel much. Moving older used stone stoves can create leaks.

I think Woodstocks are awesome stoves. I have a Fireview now and just ordered a Progress Hybrid for next year. Bought the FV on EBay for $202.50 in living room condition. A downright steal. It could use a full gasket replacement but it's not too bad. Fixed some bigger leaks and it did fine.

I personally wouldn't pay $1000 for that stove. Even if I loved the idea of stripping it. The owner messed it up so he should take the hit, not you. JMO.

This has only been used for 3 seasons and by the photos it seems there is some rust. It makes me wonder - are cast iron stoves prone to rusting in moist climates? Anyone have an opinion on that Oslo?
I stuff the top of the liner in the off season. Otherwise warm, humid air will get pulled down the liner and condense in the cooler stove, causing it to rust inside and out, especially when the house is air conditioned. But in that case, it probably rusted from being in his garage. The Oslo is a good stove but tube stoves don't offer the low, even output of cats, which is nice in a climate like yours. The Palladian will use somewhat less wood and is an easy-breathing stove. The Oslo may require better draft to work well. I think it does have a grated ash system. That doesn't sound like a 'smokin' deal...I would try to get it cheaper. As always, check for cracked castings and other signs of abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.