Ryobi 20in Chainsaw Chain Brake - Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Elguacho10

May 13, 2020
Florida
Well.... I was using my saw... Fairly new to gas chainsaws and I got it stuck at the base of a tree and couldn't get it out. After I finally retrieved the saw from the tree and fired it back up, every time I engaged the chain break, the saw turns off. If I turn the chain break on I can hardly pull the pull string to turn the chain saw on. the only way to turn the chain saw on is to disengage the chain break.

So aside from the chain saw being a Ryobi... Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might be wrong with it or how to fix it. Its brand new... So I might be able to use the warranty to get it fix... But I'd prefer to do it my self if I can....

When the saw runs is the chain constantly spinning?

I'd pull the cover off the chain and clutch and have a look, my guess is the clutch is full of sawdust preventing the chain from spinning free from the engine.

I'd pull the cover off the chain and clutch and have a look, my guess is the clutch is full of sawdust preventing the chain from spinning free from the engine.
X2 Check the clutch

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Pull the chain and clean and flip the bar ...
Some times doing some else will chaise the Gremlin away

When the saw runs is the chain constantly spinning?

Chain only spun when the bake was off... Needless to stay i took apart apart a couple of items put it bake together, and it still was behaving weird. But, after a little bit of use things went back to normal... So I'm not sure what was going on, but at least its working now and i can you my chain break without having to shut her down... Thanks!

Chain only spun when the bake was off... Needless to stay i took apart apart a couple of items put it bake together, and it still was behaving weird. But, after a little bit of use things went back to normal... So I'm not sure what was going on, but at least its working now and i can you my chain break without having to shut her down... Thanks!

Must have been something in it that worked out over time. I'm not sure how the Ryobi's are built, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to grease the bearing on the clutch. I know the Husqvarna's have an insert at the end of the shaft you grease with the same gun as for the bar nose sprocket.