?'s about building a chimney inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuel

Jan 4, 2009
Nebraska
I have found a way that i can build a chimney chase through my house by going through the back of one of the closets in the house and then out through the roof above that. My main question is do I have to use insulated pipe the whole way or is there a cheaper pipe I can use in the chase and then go to the insulated pipe when i go through the roof.

thanks

Cheaper indoor doublewall pipe needs much more clearances than insulated SS does.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it, you can use stovepipe (either single-wall or double-wall) from the appliance flue collar to the point at which it first penetrates the structure...be that a ceiling or a wall. At that point, you need to install the appropriate through-wall (ceiling) transition fixture (support box) and switch to Class A chimney pipe for the remainder of the run to daylight. In any case, that's the way I'd plan to build it. More expensive? Sure is. Safer? You bet. Rick

For the class A that runs inside the house, you might buy galvanized instead of stainless as it is more affordable. I used Duratech, and the clearances are the same for the galvanized and stainless. Good luck with the install.

^ Fer sure! Heck, even my exposed runs of chimney above the roofs are galvanized outside pipe (Simpson Dura-Vent). Not nearly as pretty as stainless, but who's looking? It's the stainless inside that counts...and the insulation. Rick

Check your big box stores. Around here, Lowes sells Class A SS chimney for~$23/foot. Price is roughly 1/2 of the stove dealer.

Shop around online, some, too--I got much better prices online than locally, and while I'd like to support local businesses, I don't want to pay double for the same product.

Fuel said:
I have found a way that i can build a chimney chase through my house by going through the back of one of the closets in the house and then out through the roof above that. My main question is do I have to use insulated pipe the whole way or is there a cheaper pipe I can use in the chase and then go to the insulated pipe when i go through the roof.

thanks

This is not an area to sit on the wallet. Given the temps that this pipe can and may see, you'll need to do this safely and without compromise. You need to use class A pipe as soon as the pipe has penetrated a floor. Double-wall connector pipe should not be enclosed. It must be class A pipe and clearances honored at all points.

One note: Stainless is MUCH more durable than mild steel, particularly at high temps. It's much more likely to survive if you ever get a chimney fire, God forbid.

Status
Not open for further replies.