Safe Temperature For Duct?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DV

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2012
Southern MD
I've got my Drolet Eco 65 ducted. My question is for anyone who has there pellet stove ducted what temps are you getting at the register? and what is a recommended safe temp? Currently I'm getting between 130 and 140 degrees center of duct air temps. I have a 5 inch flexible duct attached to a 6" by 10" boot with register. The boot is is direct contact with the base wood of floor and carpet. The duct walls and boot dont seam to be nearly as hot as the center air coming through duct. Another interesting note is at the stove coming off heat exchanger I'm getting temps of 128 to 133. So its hotter 6 feet away at end of duct run. Any info would be great. Thanks

I'm averaging 135ºF at the vents upstairsand 140ºF ish at the stove connection with it on 3 of 5 heat setting(medium). Depending on the pellet I go from 100-160ºF at the vents. I can go over 250ºF if I have a hot pellet and the stove cranked to the max, But I don't do that. I just cruze on medium for the most part.

So I'm thinking my register temps are safe? Thanks for reply. 250 f at register if stove is cranked?

So I'm thinking my register temps are safe? Thanks for reply. 250 f at register if stove is cranked?

Yes, But I only went there to see how hot is could get. I just cruze with it and we do fine even in the cold. 250ºF is pretty close to hot toes and I'm not comfy running that high. Not sure if its an issue, But I wouldn't want to step on it with bare feet!

I'd like to hear what some of the pellet furnaces get for heat on high just so we can compare. Like a Fahrenheit or a St Croix Revolution.

I get between 160*-170* on level 3 and to average all ducts, about 140*-150*. (800 CFM blower)

Granted I only have 6 ducts in my Fahrenheits run, but it does a great job on level 1, for the most part. (only half the house)

Last night, on level 1, the kids rooms were 71*, our room 67* (brrrr) kitchen 69*, and living room and dining room 67* ( only 2 rooms with no ducts). Left on manual 1 last night and doing the same tonight. Quad is set at 69* (will kick on at 67*) just in case. But didn't need it last (27* last night)

Granted.... The wood eater was running :( But can ya blame me ;)

Those pellet furnaces sure are nice.....my crawl space basement makes me angry everytime I think about it. My West Point does a he'll of a job but would really like the even heat of a furnace.....my temps go from 74-68...not bad but could be better

I like Dexter cheat when it gets really cold out(has to be below zero). I'll throw some splits in my wood eater and get the basement toasty. With the Omega chuggin on low(hi/lo mode) it sucks the heat from the basement and sends it upstairs. When the woods gone, The Omega will do its normal deed with the stat controlling the heat as needed.

Getting the rooms all about the same temp was a lot of fun at first. I get it about right(adjusting the registers damper. But they didn't stay in place. So I had to play games with em. Got em so the temps are pretty close.

Very cool. Thanks for replies. So I'm assuming if my register air stays below 200F I should be safe? Thats my biggest concern is just having the hot temps on the register and duct. Probably just more nervous and cautious then I need to be. Though wood ignites at 400 plus.

Very rarely see temps near zero in my neck of the woods. When my pellet stove is on my heat pump is NOT and thats whats important. Should be interesting to see how it holds up when we do get the teens and single digit temps later in the winter.

Is this all metal ductwork?

My Fahrenheit has a metal 10" plenum, but goes into Certainteed Ultraduct Gold (insulated duct) and it needed to have 250° max temp rating to be certified safe as the Fahrenheits manual.

When I bought the furnace, I had no idea about the 250°… So I chit a brick when I read it. Called Certainteed and sure enough, its exactly 250°… The section I removed to duct the 10" plenum in, I took a Blowtorch too. It wouldnt catch fire!!! At all!!! Smoldered, but knowing that 1,000° flame wouldn't ignite it, put my soul at ease. Because the blower on the Fahrenheit cycles when on Low (level 1) it kicks on at 165° and then off somewhere around 120°. On anything above level 1, it creates enough heat to run constant. But on 1, with the blower off, that hot stale air sits in the duct until it kicks on. Scared me at 1st. But all temps are lower than the rating..

So 200° isnt bad. But thats if its steel or if its rated for the 200°… And 200° at the register, would be a little warmer than I would like

I am using aluminum semi rigid duct. Its rated to 500f. It says operating range of -100 to 430. I dont plan on getting anything near 200 at the register.

another question? I have not installed the plenum yet. Will be no problem to slap it in with the semi rigid duct. But what exactly is the purpose of it? and do I need it? Seems to be working great without it but theres gotta be a reason for it?

I believe its just so its "split" evenly? Allows some air to still come out into the stove room, while directing the air into the 2 ducts.

The main reason though, is because it was "tested and certified" with the plenum? If you have it? I would slap it on?

Fyrebug would have the better explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.