Safe temps for 0" clearance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pcampbell

Jan 3, 2008
Vermont
I have a DV wall furnace that is listed as 0" clearance to combustibles. I measured the pipe temps today with my infrared gun and found the hottest temps to be around 240F. I am just wondering what is considered the maximum safe range for clearance to framing wood, drywall, etc.

Zero clearance is likely just for the unit, not the pipe. Pipe almost always has clearance required. The install manual should specify this. If its 240° F and touches wood/combustibles then I'm sure its too hot. If it's 240° and there is an air gap then you need to measure the surface temp of the surrounding combustibles.

ANSI Z21.88a-2007 is the standard fireplaces are certified to today, your furnace is likely a variation of that standard, but Z21.88 says any combustible surface not exposed to the room (not seen e.g. inside the wall) has a maximum temperature limit of 90° F above ambient temperature. So if your house is 70° inside, the combustible cannot exceed 160°. That temperature measurement is taken when the system is at equilibrium (hottest).

If you are concerned then I don't think there is any reason you can't add extra clearance. I've been guilty of that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.