Safe? Vermont castings insert w/ plywood fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jerrcrabb

Dec 22, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hi all!

Recently purchased a home out in lovely PA, with a Vermont Castings Stratton wood stove insert.

It doesn't put out nearly as much heat as would have imagined, and when it's not in use it's downright drafty.

They don't make these anyone (so far as I can tell) but I was able to find a blower motor. When I pulled the front cover off to attach the blower, I was really surprised to see how this insert is installed.

I guess I thought I was going to see stone, or brick, or something substantial. Nothing like that is back there. Just studs and plywood. On all sides and up as far as I can see. It's even sitting directly on the plywood subfloor.

This might be normal, but it not at all what I expected.

What's the best way to try and insulate this?

Assuming I can figure out how to slide the stove out, my first thought is to use some non faced insulation bats between the studs and cover everything with sheet metal (galvanized?). Also try and fabricate some sort of sheet metal air stop above the stove and around the chimney pipe. Some under the stove as well.

Any suggestions? Also, is the current installation even safe?

Thanks!

Jerry

The VC Stratton isn't an insert, though some salespersons call it that. It's actually a small zero-clearance fireplace. These units are typically built into a stud framed chase. This unit doesn't pull out typically. As long as it is properly installed and clearances have been honored then it's safe. The walls could have insulation in them and covered with sheetrock if desired. No need t insulate or cover the interior wall. There should be a firestop at the first floor ceiling level.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerrcrabb
Thank you for helping me determine what I'm working with here!

I think I've pinpointed the draft, there's a flex pipe that runs from the outside chase wall to Sunday somewhere beneath the stove. Constant air flow here.

That sounds like it may be the outside air supply. You should be able to see this connecting to the fireplace on the lower right side. Make sure it is still attached. Also, if the fireplace has a proper outside air connection then there is a cover plate on the front that is supposed to be closed. Check that too.
Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 12.38.37 PM.png

Thank you for helping me determine what I'm working with here!

I think I've pinpointed the draft, there's a flex pipe that runs from the outside chase wall to Sunday somewhere beneath the stove. Constant air flow here.
That's the air intake for the stove. Perhaps you could close it and the flue for the stove when not in use. This will reduce cold air infiltration. However, make sure the flue and air inlet are both open when using the stove, or you will smoke the house out.

That sounds like it may be the outside air supply. You should be able to see this connecting to the fireplace on the lower right side. Make sure it is still attached. Also, if the fireplace has a proper outside air connection then there is a cover plate on the front that is supposed to be closed. Check that too.
View attachment 253971
I could give you a big hug. This was 100% it. There's still no insulation on the outside walls, but the draft went away immediately. All I had laying around was some Nashua 324a tape, but really that's the same stuff attaching the flex tube on the fireplace.

I’m guessing the last pic is looking up? The interior wall is insulated but not the sides or the back, all being exterior walls? We see this all too often, builders just
Can’t seem to get a grasp on how this should work. I don’t get it?

I’m guessing the last pic is looking up? The interior wall is insulated but not the sides or the back, all being exterior walls? We see this all too often, builders just
It's cheap to do it wrong. Sometimes you even get twice the business!

Glad it was that simple. In lieu of the tape, unscrew the cover by removing the 2 screws that the tape is now covering and flip the cover so that it blocks that opening. What is happening up at the top of the chase? It looks like scraps of blue foam board were put up there.

Yes, looking up. It also looks like there's a hole busted in sheet rock... or something else. There's no living space above and I don't have access to that space under the roof. Now that I think about it, if it's not finished space, it shouldn't be sheet rock.

Glad it was that simple. In lieu of the tape, unscrew the cover by removing the 2 screws that the tape is now covering and flip the cover so that it blocks that opening. What is happening up at the top of the chase? It looks like scraps of blue foam board were put up there.

Wow...I can't believe that I missed that. I just figured the cover was missing, not staring me in the face.

I see that stuff up there too. I'm not sure.

It also looks like the wrong firestop too. It should fit tight to the pipe.

Here's the best pic I was able to get of it. I'm sticking my phone in there and taking shots randomly . :p
It does look like someone put a fist through that drywall.

Here's the best pic I was able to get of it. I'm sticking my phone in there and taking shots randomly . :p
Looks like something was done on the other side of the wall that punched out the foam board. Fortunately, it doesn't appear to be touching the chimney, but it's too close. Should be at least 2" away typically.