Safety tip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
And note to self...

Don't rake the coals around in the morning with out first turning on some lights.

Wood stoves are black and even briefly touching the little airwash deflector inside the front opening of a stove with your knuckle pretty much instantly leaves a nice blister.

:ahhh: Ouch!! ("Oh Darn that smarts..." Or something like that)

Yup. I have two crisp little linear scars on my forearm from exactly that - hitting the airwash while raking coals. Why two, you might ask - some of us learn a little slower than others...

Steve

Good point ........... I always wear a welding glove on my right hand , now . I got a burn on my wrist the first week with the stove and i didnt even touch anything ! Just the heat from the coal i guess. I ware both welding gloves when i take out the ash pan. Now i dont have to think about it .

I always make it a point to wear welding gloves myself, even when "quickly"
placing a new log into the box. I found out that even a quick exposure to the internal
heat of the box, even though it may not feel too hot, really does a number on
drying out your skin, especially in the dry winter air!! Trying to sell my wife on this
point, but it takes too much time for her to stop & put them on.

Rob

Think I'm gonna have to do the same thing. Insert has been burning non-stop for three days now and last night I had a pretty impressive bed of coals going. When I tried to place some more wood in, the hair on the back of my hands and arms actually curled up and burnt. A second later I could feel it on my skin. Youch!
And this was without even contacting any metal parts.
Gonna get some high cuff leather gloves today.

Willhound

High cuff leather gloves are fine as long as you dont have them in the fire too long
Ow, ow, ow get em off, get em off!!!!

I am going to finally pick up a tool set this afternoon, been reaching in the fire with the gloves moving stuff around when needed and even still I have no hair on my hands.
They provide a poker of sorts with the stove and since I have great ashpans in the Morso (the 3610 has two nice big ones), I dont really need a shovel but I am a little anal about keeping the hearth clean and the shovel/broom will do worlds for helping that cause.
The tongs will help my hands and I can fend off dragons with the poker :)

I cant believe I have gone this long without tools.

I looked and looked for good tools for my stove and ended up making my own . Ash clean out on mine aswell so i dont need a shovel . I did however need an ash/coal rake and was going to weld one up but ended up taking a stainless steel grill spatula and bending it 90 deg in the middle of the head , now i can rake my ash into the clean out hole and ash does not stick to the stainless steel . i bought a hand vac for the ash left over on the hearth and clean the hearth with a wet wash cloth about every 4 days .

Great idea Roo, thanks. I gotta try the spatula trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.