Samsung Microwave mini High Limit Snap disc crapped out!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
We only had this microwave for 4 months! The other day the Microwave ran for ten seconds then stopped and all the lights on the control panel went out. Searching the Internet for a similar issue said it was a bad control panel!

However that is NOT the case!

These microwaves have the cheap non ceramic mini high limit switches that can easily pop!

Just like the hi limit thermo disc in a pellet stove that is inline with the AC juice to the auger motor!
At least the pellet stove hi limit discs usually have a red button to reset them or in the case of Travis stoves they automatically reset.

This microwave limit switch is a normally closed switch that opens at approx 190 degrees. There is no reset button and they do NOT reset!
So if it dies and opens up then no AC to the control panel and microwave does not work!

After installing a new switch it is working again.
See pics
Pic 1 - Microwave working again!
Pic 2-3 Thermo disc mounted on a metal heat sink type bracket.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 194
Good that the fix was simple. One year parts and labor warranty. Why tinker after 4 months?

Good that the fix was simple. One year parts and labor warranty. Why tinker after 4 months?
Correct!
I worked with the 2 guys that fixed it under warranty. Now if it breaks again after the warranty runs out, I know what the problem is and I will use a better part!
Maybe I can get a full size 3/4" resetable hi limit snap disc in there? They should last a ton longer in a Microwave! What do you think?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.