Sap is Running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
i enjoyed this thread. I boiled down about 40 gallons of sap from 8 box elder trees in my back yard to make one gallon of the best syrup i ever tasted. I learned one must be very attentive when the final boiling process is near the end as that syrup will start to burn fast. I had two small batches that started to burn, got really dark and thick but adding water to it brought it back. Its thick and has a wonderful burnt/smokey taste to it, we added some red pepper and other spices to it and intend on trying it out as a meat glaze or a marinate which im very excited to experiment with. Next year i hope to double production and streamline the process by getting a bigger pot and boiling it outside. Thinking about a turkey fryer maybe with propane. I used to do it over a few days inside on the wood stove but once you get over 10 gallons it takes to long. Its a fun process i look forward to doing again next year.

Reactions: VintageGal