Sap is Running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northern NH Mike

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
Northern NH
I put five taps and buckets out last Sunday and I have my first sap today.
I tapped about ten years ago and didn't have enough dry wood to boil down and wasted the 50 gallons. Hoping to complete the process even for a quart this year.
sap.jpg

Should be pretty light syrup with an early run. This is looking like the first year I haven't made syrup in close to 20 years. Always a good time.

Our run will not start for at least another month

Not tapped yet here in mid Michigan.
I have 1800 plus to do so probably later this week I’ll get started .

never done it. so how long does it take to boil down 50 gallons

never done it. so how long does it take to boil down 50 gallons
Too many variables, pan size is the big one
We can boil from sap to syrup 1000 gal every 10 hours
but we use a very large pan to a finishing pan and gas burners.
We used wood for years but gas cleaner and more consistent heat
It all depends on your evaporation rate

Reactions: Dan Freeman
wow. so for that 1000 gallons you would burn a lot of wood

Maple producers facing jug shortage.

Curious, how do you keep the sap from getting a smoky flavor when you burn it down with wood? I tried it once, and never used the final syrup because it had a distinct smoky flavor.
Dan, I am planning to include an 8' stack on the back of the rig I'm working with. Theoretically this should create a draft to help the fire but also exhaust the smoke away from the boiling pans. We'll see.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
To me it seems like a whole bunch of work for so little that you manage to have left and all that steaming and stuff and temperature checking and I know it is delicious but I am not that ambitious maybe when I was younger but I imagine it takes a whole day to babysit with the charms of making maple syrup and all the wood burning--like you--rather use gas for this is easier. I really think this is a art to get the proper everything so enjoy your hard labor and good for you....interesting to hear about...clancey

To me it seems like a whole bunch of work for so little that you manage to have left

Yes, making Maple Syrup is a lot of work. It is not only the syrup but taffy on new-fallen snow,
maple candy, maple sugar, and my favorite maple butter.
The sweet product is the first crop of spring and a chance for the farmer to make some
much needed money.
I can remember on the farm when I was a lad my Father, Grandfather, and my Uncles
took pride in that first crop. The horses pulling the sled with the sap tank on it
the smell of smoke and the sweet smell of syrup. We make it differently now
kids say it's high teck . But when I get to the sugar camp and smell that sap it
takes me back some 65 years. Hope I will be around a lot more years to experience it

what happens if you use some sap that is from another type of tree like oak or elm or the different types of maple

Yes, making Maple Syrup is a lot of work. It is not only the syrup but taffy on new-fallen snow,
maple candy, maple sugar, and my favorite maple butter.
The sweet product is the first crop of spring and a chance for the farmer to make some
much needed money.
I can remember on the farm when I was a lad my Father, Grandfather, and my Uncles
took pride in that first crop. The horses pulling the sled with the sap tank on it
the smell of smoke and the sweet smell of syrup. We make it differently now
kids say it's high teck . But when I get to the sugar camp and smell that sap it
takes me back some 65 years. Hope I will be around a lot more years to experience it
I agree with you johneh. For me, a lot of the stuff I do in the garden, outdoors and in the kitchen is about experiencing the way things were done traditionally, or by hand. Technology has made things available faster, easier and sometimes even safer and for that I am grateful. However, knowing and experiencing the whole process from ID'ing the trees to prepping the equipment for the process, to watching the weather window and being patient and observant and using the resources of the land to produce something of value and sharing it with friends and family is well worth the time and effort.

Reactions: clancey and johneh
what happens if you use some sap that is from another type of tree like oak or elm or the different types of maple
I would think that you would need a lot to change the flavor profile
The reason Sugar maple are taped is the sugar content of the sap
at around 40 to 1 . Birtch can be taped and you get a syrup that has
a different flavor but you need a lot more sap than you need from the maple
for the same amount of syrup.

I have birch syrup from Alaska in the refrigerator. It's described as spicy sweet. 90 - 100 : 1 reduction. More expensive than maple syrup. The gals from Red Molly were in AK, and I asked them to get me some. :)

Gosh I am now making hotcakes and I have some Maple Grove Farms pure maple syrup and I love it but so so expensive and i would love to have the experience of testing it right off of finishing it and to walk in the pretty woods to tap your trees--what an experience--lots of work but think of all that beauty around makes it taste that much better--work on maple syrup lovers---I read this post and started making "hotcakes" for breakfast--lol Good for you and enjoy...clancey

thanks guys for the info. never done it but have a best friend that has. to bad i never asked him these questions. always forgot.

I put 10 taps in last weekend in Allegany county, WNY. Can't wait to get back out to camp this weekend and see if, and how, the run has been. I went from a cinder block construction evaporator last year to a barrel stove evaporator this year. The pictures are of the first burn to get rid of the paint. I have since cut out the holes for the pans to set in and painted with high heat paint. Hoping this set up works. I have also added a pic of last years set up.

stove2.jpg

works. well.
stove.jpg
stove1.jpg

Last edited:
VT maple weekends. Oher states have them, too.

Gathering has begun here with the warmer days, but we need cooler nights for it to kick into high gear!