Sap wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MDFisherman

Burning Hunk
Sep 17, 2012
So. MD
Anybody else split the sap wood off their wood? Seems like it just rots and is a good spot for bugs.
Here’s a clean load of red oak.

fd7d7cba7e53fbbf9f18df9d227d79bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lakeside
Not the sap wood, but I do debark 100%.

lakeside what are you using to debark with?

I think I would drive a hot poker through my ear before I debarked 5 cord for every year.

Lol. Agreed, and that’s from someone that wanted to debark everything after I split it. That sounds like a good plan when your wood’s bark is already loose, but with all the green stuff I’ve gotten lately I quickly changed my mind. Maybe when I’m moving it from the stacks to the woodshed the bark will come off effortlessly?

I haven't had the experience of the sapwood rotting. In another thread I wrote about using bark as my primary source of kindling. I don't try too hard to take it off, but a bunch pops off when I move things around. I think stacking in a place where the wood gets some sun and wind will take care of the rot problem. I also try to stack with the bark up, but I'm not too particular about this either.