Saw a Total of Seven Different Fawns Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I was riding my ATV through the woods and came upon 4 fawns all playing together. I went a little further and then saw a doe and three more, even smaller, fawns! When I came back through the woods, the first 4 fawns were still there playing and jumping, not afraid of me at all. Really cool.

The doe and three fawns, I caught this picture just as the doe was leading them into the brush:
IMG_8361%20(1280x718).jpg

A closeup of one of the group of four fawns, just within feet of me while I sat on my ATV and watched them:
IMG_8365%20(1280x718).jpg

Maybe they were wondering if I was going to join them in their game:
IMG_8371%20(1280x718).jpg

One playing while the others keep an eye on me:
IMG_8377%20(1280x718).jpg

Quads thats great, I still have not seen one fawn yet but there are about three areas I stay out of until I see them.

zap

We've got one that has been showing up a lot lately. Now that they are on the other side of the fence I can tolerate them a bit more.

Just some great shots! It's always a good feeling when you see wildlife up close in their environment and when you can be some small part of it.

Down to only seeing one doe with a spotted fawn here this year. Used to be a half dozen at a time. She came up close to where I was working in the back yard with the little critter in tow like she wanted to show me her new one. Year before last she dropped three at once and boy was she looking worn out after that. I would go down in the woods at night and sit with them while they grazed. Sometimes she would wander off and leave me to baby sit.

We've had a population explosion this year. Have never seen so many fawns in the woods, and this is just in the one 80 acre piece. But, we have had an extra good year for lots of things; raspberries, blueberries, mushrooms, frogs, etc.

At the beginning of the year I had eleven doe and fawn hanging out here. That is a load for just five and a half acres. But we are the only ones for miles that don't have dogs. Two back to back three foot snow falls had to be really hard on them this year. It was supposed to be really bad with snow the year before so I laid in a bunch of orchard grass hay for them and we didn't get squat for snow. So after the hay had gone bad along came this years heavy snows. I mulched the stuff up on the drain field to grown them a food plot.

Couple of really pretty young mule deer bucks walked the property day before yesterday. Still in velvet. Tried to get my camera but they lacked the patience to wait for me. On their way to a Stag party, no doubt. %-P

Good pictures quads and a good story too. We never tire of seeing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.