Saw an Eagle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Think I saw an eagle yesterday in SE Mass, is that possible? Flying low being harassed by a few crows, like they do hawks.

Sent from my V11 using Tapatalk

Reactions: saewoody
Could be. They are coming back in numbers. We have several locally.

Reactions: saewoody
We have them here in CT. We have several families right here in town. Occasionally they fly over the yard, but I believe they mostly nest on the other side of town. Cool sight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We get some very steady north winds over the water to the north. The eagles soar up to about 500ft above the ground and then just cant their wings so they can hover with no effort. That way they can just scan for prey below. It's so cool to see. They look like they are pinned in place in the sky and can stay that way for several minutes.

They never left upstate NY. I see them all the time in many locations. Hawks. Bald Eagles. Osprey. Big birds of prey all over.

I think they have moved down the Connecticut River as far as the ocean. I would expect they also would be using the Merrimack as a highway down into Mass.

they are here in mass. wife seen one a few towns over and reports from people with pictures here in town

I've seen them at the mouth of the Merrimack,

There are Osprey nesting here too, and so many egrets it looks like a tropical paradise in the salt marshes

Saw 2 bald eagles today. One was being harassed by a turkey vulture.

I sometimes think I must be living in the world capital of Turkey vultures. I can usually spot a few within minutes of anyone asking, and frequently see them in yards around the neighborhood. They like to leave presents for those of us with sailboats, they’ll sit atop your mast and leave man-sized turds in your boat.

We have one bald eagle nest up the road, I pass it daily. Haven’t seen if there are any young in it, it is quite a distance off the road. There are other abandoned eagle nests, elsewhere on my commute, likely due to traffic disturbing them.

We got chickens two years ago, and now the red tail hawks have moved into my yard. The bastards set up a nest right above my wood piles, and already picked off one of my son’s chickens. No more free ranging!