Saw chain storage/organizer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tron

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2020
Jackson MS
Hi Guys,

I've now accumulated a few chains each of different sizes for different saws and would like to keep them a bit organized in my workshop.
A small parts organizer usually has too small compartments, and "Tupperware" containers are usually loose and can't be connected. And a real toolbox is way too big for a few chains.

I currently use a rather small organizer with three compartments, but since a new saw with a new chain size is incoming, that won't be enough.

So, what do you guys use to keep your chains organized?

Thanks!

Hang them up on mug holder style rods mounted on the wall. One rod per size, multiple chains on one rod.

Reactions: johneh
googling mug holder I see stuff that I did not meant to suggest. Maybe wine glass holder is better:
1625842910883.png

I use the same idea as above but it is pegs in pegboard hanging on the wall
different pegs for different change sizes and types
1 for sharp chains and 1 for dull chains of the same size

That might be an idea, I'll need to see if my pegboard has some space left, although unlikely.
I currently keep sharp chains in one box and I have another one for dull chains. So when I give them out for sharpening, I just give them the whole box. Very convenient.

i have a sheet of plywood with 4" long screws
I need a bigger piece of plywood,i need to expand
I have 3-400 chains or more.
Last new chain i bought was 25 years ago,came on a new saw.
Have bought 5 gallon buckets full of chains and bars at yard sales for penny's a chain.

• Wow
Reactions: Tron
Nails.

Ok, I should have mentioned that the walls of my garage/workshop are painted drywall, so rather nice, and so I was looking for a more elegant solution than nails (even if they would do the job)

;-)

Ok, I should have mentioned that the walls of my garage/workshop are painted drywall, so rather nice, and so I was looking for a more elegant solution than nails (even if they would do the job)

;-)

Then at least (if you hang them as in the suggestions above) put a plywood board behind it to avoid grease stains in your drywall. While my garage is just concrete, I have bought a few 4x4' plywood 1/2" boards, put those up, and I am hanging most of my stuff from that. Easier, and avoids having the walls also (because: floor...) stained with oil or grease..

Reactions: Bad LP

;-)
Sheet of white plastic, white laminate over ply or even just a hunk of any decent looking plywood available.

Reactions: JimBear
Just hang them & write above each hanger :
Semi, Full or Square;
drive link count,
Pitch, 1/4”, .325”, 3/8”,
Drive link thickness ; .043”, .050”, .058” .063”
C4C34BAA-D866-4DA1-889C-D4EF4297864C.jpeg

Reactions: MissMac

;-)
Drywall in a shop...,so rather nice
Hmm that wouldn't work for me,i work in my shop on dirty stuffs,run diesel powered engines.
Painted plywood is what i use,hard to punch a hole in it.My big shop is white tin.

Drywall in a shop...,so rather nice
I guess it's because it wasn't built as a workshop, but rather is a free spot in our garage. Which gives me enough space for workbench/shelves plus my motorcycle ;-)

We do have a huge 2000sqft workshop in the yard (I call it the "hangar"), but it's brutally hot in there most of the year, so the lawnmower and such get to live in it. Wouldn't really want to use it as a workshop, I'd have to run all the way out there for the forgotten screwdriver when working on the house.