Saw chains and sharpening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Poindexter

Minister of Fire
Jun 28, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
I agree the OP is potentially sticky worthy and second the idea saw chains should be sharpened, at least looked over and touched up, with every fuel fill.

3 strokes with a file every time you add fuel. You can feel if they need another. Easier on the body to keep it sharp.

I spray the boots and pants with Cutters to deter ticks. Had the Lyme issue last Summer, and am leery of a repeat.

I sharpen every 1-2 tanks depending on what I'm cutting. Red oak, black locust, and sugar maple eat through chains and I sharpen every refuel. Softer stuff like red maple, cherry, pine etc I can get away with every other refuel.

Sharpening takes 5 minutes once you get good at it and will save you a ton of fuel, time, and aggravation in the future. Not to mention it's much safer using sharp tools.

I had one friend I found out was throwing out dull chains and just buying new ones every time. Yikes! Even paying the local store to do it for $20 a whack is wild. It's so easy and the tools are cheap.

I switch chains every 2 tanks. Then resharpen both. After about 5 resharpens I spend the $10 to have it done professionally to get all of the angles correct. I have an electric sharpener and a file set. On Safety equipment, just got an Oregon logging helmet that is great. I have el cheapo chaps, but they are better than nothing.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
I a new to chain saws , running them at least, Ive seen it done a lot. BUT, im lost on sharpening the chain. I have seen it done, but wasnt paying attention I guess. I know I need a round and flat file......but any pointers to a new user?

The chainsaw lore, questions, and info can be found in the Gear forum. Which is where this thread is heading.

I a new to chain saws , running them at least, Ive seen it done a lot. BUT, im lost on sharpening the chain. I have seen it done, but wasnt paying attention I guess. I know I need a round and flat file......but any pointers to a new user?
Look into the Stihl 2 in 1 chain sharpener. Easy peasy

The chainsaw lore, questions, and info can be found in the Gear forum. Which is where this thread is heading.
If you move the thread, I can answer Bill! ;lol

j/k... Stihl 2-in-1 or Pferd seem to be the preferred manual methods by most firewood cutters, who haven't yet learned free-hand. Many will graduate from these machines to free-hand later, but it's a good place to start.

There's also bench-top grinders ($$$ to $$$$) or Dremel accessories ($$), depending on the budget.

Thanks for the info on the Sthil sharpener. Im assuming itll work with any chain saw right? I only have a Troy Built. Works good for the little I cut...its fine for Joe Homeowner, lol....it does the job,

In addition to the files you will need a depth gauge. As you file back the teeth you need to adjust the depth so that the teeth tack the right size bite out of the wood. Lots of You Tube videos on that

Reactions: BillBurns
Thanks for the info on the Sthil sharpener. Im assuming itll work with any chain saw right? I only have a Troy Built. Works good for the little I cut...its fine for Joe Homeowner, lol....it does the job,
You choose your file and sharpening angles based on the specifications of your chain manufacturer.

When hand sharpening, you simply follow the "sharpening angle" with the correct file diameter, keep it square to the bar, and it will naturally yield the proper top plate and side plate angles, based on the design of the tooth. In this case, you only need to know three numbers:
  1. File diameter (eg. 7/32")
  2. Sharpening angle (usually close to 30°)
  3. Depth gauge height (usually close to .026")
If using a bench grinder, it gets a little more complicated, as you're using a wheel to try to replicate a profile naturally achieved with a file. In this case, you manually control the top plate and side plate angles, so you need to know five numbers:
  1. File diameter = wheel width
  2. Top plate angle (30°ish)
  3. Side plate angle (60°ish)
  4. Rake angle (10°ish)
  5. Depth gauge height (.026"ish)
I haven't used the Stihl 2-in-1, but I believe it follows the simpler hand-file "sharpening angle" scheme.

Reactions: BillBurns
Thank you both! It probably sounds harder than it is. My friend was a logger here in PA. Ive watched him do it, but that was years ago.....thanks again!

Thank you both! It probably sounds harder than it is. My friend was a logger here in PA. Ive watched him do it, but that was years ago.....thanks again!
Sharpening more often is better than waiting until the chain is really dull. If you have the hand file you can give the chain a quick touch up in a few minutes. If your chip size is getting small you should check the depth. (Do that from time to time anyway) You'll need a flat file for that. I like to bring the chains to be professionally sharpened every 6th time, just to make sure the angles are correct. Also, if you notice the saw drifting to one side, check the depth

It's real complicated the first time you do it, or change to a new chain type. But once you learn the angles and method, it just becomes simple repetition. You can handle it.

The cost of a new chain on amazon always precluded me from sharpening. Now I have 5 or so chains sitting in the corner of my shed that I think I really ought to sharpen. I found a guy on you tube that makes it fairly damn easy.

It is amazing how a sharpened/new chain will just grab and pull into wood and just rip through it in seconds. It's almost addictive to want that feeling each and every cut.

Reactions: salecker and Ashful
I have 3 to 10 chains for each of my bars: 36", 28", 20" and 14". Real easy to swap chains while out in the woods cutting, and sharpen them all at home on some random weeknight after work. But I buy expensive chain, I'd not want to be replacing it with new, every time it needs sharpening!

I have a weird size chain (well weird tooth count). So generally I need to buy mfg chain. My only issue with hand sharpenning is I don't have a bench vice, so my hand cramps putting enough pressure as I am holding the saw with the other hand

If you move the thread, I can answer Bill! ;lol

j/k... Stihl 2-in-1 or Pferd seem to be the preferred manual methods by most firewood cutters, who haven't yet learned free-hand. Many will graduate from these machines to free-hand later, but it's a good place to start.

There's also bench-top grinders ($$$ to $$$$) or Dremel accessories ($$), depending on the budget.
Have to disagree, I filed by hand for years freehand. my hands and wrists hurt so badly filing would kill me. I have a Dremel and a bench grinder if needed. The 2 in 1 is so comfortable to hold compared to freehand filing it's a pleasure.
@BillBurns You have to know what size chain you have on the saw, that determines the size of the file needed to sharpen it. The size should be stamped into the bar.

I cut a lot, especially when you add in the mill. I prefer having two or more chains per saw and then grinding a big pile of them. This only works if you have a good grinder, otherwise I agree that it's better to hand file the chains as they dull. Hand filing never worked for me, so I at least use a bar mounted jig. Not as fast as a person really good at hand filing, but the results are worth it. I don't have time to deal with the frustration of learning to hand file. The grinder and jigs took much less time to figure out and gave immediate results.

Using the jig or grinder I can make a chain cut faster and smoother than new. Half of that is sharp cutters, the other half is getting the rakers right. The best way is really the Oregon raker file guide and a flat file.

I paid to have a chain sharpened on a grinder only once, it was so messed up when I got it back it barely cut. That was also the chain I decided to get good hand filing on. Dad used to fell trees for a living and watching him over the years I learned the hand filing technique, a couple hours in the garage with a few Youtube videos perfecting the technique and I was set.

I'm at the point now I don't run a chain straight out of the box, I can get it sharper hand filing than Husqvarna's (Oregon I believe) mechanical grinder can get it. Last fall Dad and I were cutting wood, he got some sawdust in the fuel tank of his (455 Rancher) and plugged up the carb. I gave him my saw to continue and I'd pack the wood instead, he finished up everything without stopping, once he was done he said "that saw sure runs good, and the chain is razor sharp too". That was all the reinforcement I needed.

I've been filing by hand using a quick guide for years. Its easy to use and is just as fast as free handing it. I typically sharpen every other tank of gas and it only takes about 5 minutes once you get the hang of it. If I'm cutting softwood I may sharpen less, dry hardwood more. I hit the rakers every 5 sharpenings or so depending on how the chips look.

I like to have a couple chains and an extra bar available when I start bucking a big haul. That way if there's an issue it's a quick swap and I'm back to cutting. I cut a lot of hardwood yard trees from tree services so you never know if a log will move unpredictability and you'll get pinched or chunk a tooth on some hidden metal.

I use one of these:

Amazon product ASIN B0035AKJN0

Two fine tunes to my file-guide-based sharpening strategy very recently include 1) checking that each set of adjacent and opposing teeth are the same size - shouldn’t be surprising I guess that some adjustment was needed on a 50% wore chain (primarily on one side), and 2) if the tooth slicks out after 1-2 file strokes the rake inevitably needs to be taken down a bit. I sharpen with every tank fill, and give the file a quarter turn in the guide. My 661 pulled out a great bushy pile of slivers this afternoon. ...the bench vise thing sounds like it could be helpful.