Saw help and Opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wdenton

Sep 15, 2011
MI
Hello
If you saw my other post you know my saws where stolen

There is an auction around my house this weekend and they have a Stihl 028 wood boss

Currently I cannot afford to buy a new saw or replace my ms261
I burn about 4 cord a year

Would this saw get me through for the next couple years until I can buy another saw?
What is the going rate ball park range for this saw?

Would I be better off looking at a 026
I see them on ebay from 200-350

My other options is a 290 for around 300 (used but supposedly refurbished by the seller)

Or if you know of any other Stihl saws for a decent price that will work for me let me know please.

Sorry for all the questions and model numbers but I have not had to look for a saw in years and since I cant buy a new one currently I am looking for the best used one at the best value I can find.

Does anyone want to chime in Please. I am not sure what the best way to go is out of those 3 saws or if there is a better option in the same price range.

There is an auction around my house this weekend and they have a Stihl 028 wood boss

Would I be better off looking at a 026
I see them on ebay from 200-350

My other options is a 290 for around 300 (used but supposedly refurbished by the seller)

Sorry to hear about your other saws

I grew up with on 028. My dad had one. They are getting up in age so I'd check it over good. That said they are excellent firewood saws. They are a full magnesium case and not a plastic clamshell saw like the 290. An 028 is a far better saw than an 029/290 as far as durability and ease of rebuilding goes. Probably about the same performance as far as power. Not sure on prices in your area but I wouldn't pay over $200 for an 028.

No way would I ever pay $300 for a used 290. I've run them and there is nothing about them that would make me want to open up my wallet.

Used 026 for $250 or less would be a great option.

Also does it have to be a Stihl ? Lots of great options ( and better options than used 028s and used 290s ) if your willing to consider professional line saws from Husky, Jonsered, or Dolmar etc.

Guy I know is selling a used Jonsered 2159 for $250 bucks. Sister saw to a Husky 359. Originally a $600 dollar saw back in the day. 60cc pro saw that would out perform any of the saws your looking at for $250. Hard to beat that deal

Reactions: Jon1270
I guess I would be open to other saws.
I just dont know alot about them since I have always used Stihl and so has my father in law (the person I cut wood with most often)

Would the jonsered 2159 be a newer saw since the 028 and 026 is probably from the mid 80's if I had to guess

I was doing some reading and video watching and I kinda like what I have seen with husvarna 359 also.
You say I can get one around 250
Can you point me in that direction. I cant seem to find one.

Farmer up the road is selling his for $250 but I don't think he will bother packaging it up and shipping it.

I was using his as an example and yes a 2159 or Husky 359 generally will bring between $250 and $300 used.

You asked if it was newer. Not sure on dates but I'd say they came out in the late 1990s and were still being sold up until a few years ago.

Another option would be to look at a Makita / Dolmar 6400. Home Depot uses the Makita 6400 as it's professional grade rental saw. Makita owns Dolmar and this is the same saw as a Dolmar 6400. Home Depot does sell their rental fleet every so often. It might be worth making a call to your local Home Depot rental department and asking. Because the Makita / Dolmar 6400 is one heck of a saw. Made in Germany by Dolmar. 64cc very powerful and modern. Might be able to grab a rental for cheap $$ ??

Generally the hd rental sales fall in your price bracket , although you might have to do a bit of repair work. Last one I got had a mucked up carb which several tanks of Seafoam additive corrected- and the oiler had to be replaced- plastic gears were melted so somewhere along the line that unit got run pretty darn hard. Dolitas are sorta like Timex watches takes a lickin and keeps on ticking - course I am biased as I have a stable full.

Reactions: Wildo and bfast250
I'll throw this out there, an Echo CS 590 brand new, 60cc saw with 5 year warranty for just under $400. I've used the crap out of mine this year and it's a pretty solid saw for that price. Not sure if you can pony up $400 but throwing it in the ring for consideration

The 028s were almost as bullet proof as the older 031. They are an older saw, but if it is a good runner worth $150. Take a close look before you bid on it, It could have been sitting most of it life or it could of had the crap kicked out of it.
And remember not to get caught up in a bidding war. I went to one a few weeks ago where a guy paid $4.50 ea. for a pile of 2x4x8, Twice what you could go to Lowes and buy them for, but he won the bid at the auction!

Good used 026 / 260 can't be beat for the money. And it won't be a temporary saw either. You will keep it. Most of the pros around here have a couple.

Last edited:
If that 028 is in good shape, I would snag it. If it is an 028 Super, even better. My old man still has his that he bought new back in 1984 and it still runs like a champ. I actually think it has a bit more power than the 290 I still have. And, as it has already been mentioned, the 028 has a magnesium case and is much more sturdily built than the plastic composition of the 290.

Bought my 026 in 1997 new still love that saw, never has given me an ounce of grief.

I paid $40 for my 026, as a box of parts. The original owner had had trouble pulling the starter rope, though it always ran great once he got it going. He thought maybe he could figure out what was wrong with it, but what was really wrong was that he was getting older, and his elbow was giving him trouble. The saw was just fine. So, I got a box of parts, with the little fasteners and springs neatly contained in old peanut butter jars. The only parts I had to replace were the fuel, impulse and oiler hoses, because they'd gotten brittle with age.

In stock form I like early 026's best because they came with fully adjustable carburetors and the mufflers were less restricted. It's easy enough to modify the muffler on a later version, and to swap in a WT-194 for the original carb, but that adds a bit of time and ~$40 to the cost. MS260's are basically the same except for the flippy caps, and I think the rear handles are a little more robust. The only feature specific to the "pro" versions that I care about is the adjustable oiler, and I care not because of its adjustability, but because it is driven off the clutch instead of directly from the crankshaft. The adjustable oiler pumps oil only while the chain is moving, whereas the non-adjustable oiler continues to pump even at idle, which gets a little messy at times.

To the OP, I think the main issues you should resolve right away are the length of bar you want to be able to use regularly, and whether you're willing and able to do some repair work on a used saw that's in questionable condition. An old 028 that hasn't been abused or used very heavily is likely to be a solid machine at heart, but if it hasn't been regularly used and maintained in recent years then it will very likely need some attention. Fuel, impulse and oiler lines might have stiffened and cracked or turned to jelly. The carburetor will probably need to be cleaned, and might need a kit of gaskets, diaphragms and metering valve too. Are you prepared for a little project, or do you just need a saw that works?

Thanks for all the replies.
I really appreciate it.
Keep the info coming.

Jon1270
I can do some repiars and I am willing to put some time in but I am by no means a small engine guy.
As far as the bar my other saw had a 20 so I think 18-20 is where I want to be at.

So if I can get the 028 for 160 or under i'll go for it.
I really loved my other saw so if the 026 is that close to it I think I will be on the lookout for one of those if I dont get the 028.
Heck I may be on the lookout for one even if I do get it :)

I do need to start bucking up some wood that I already have down and ready to go.

Just to clarify the 028 does not have an adjustible carb, is that correct?

Once I get the saw I will go through it with a fine tooth comb and look at replacing anything that looks fishy.

Just to clarify the 028 does not have an adjustible carb, is that correct?

No, the 028 will have an adjustable carb, as most older saws do. EPA regulations are the reason for non-adjustable carbs and/or adjustment limiters on newer saws. The 028 predates those restrictions.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 028 was in production for a long time and went through significant changes over the years. Early ones were only 43cc, while later versions were 47cc, and the 028 Super is 51.4cc. None of them is going to make the kind of power that your 261 did, and I'd hesitate to put a 20" bar on any 028 that hadn't been subjected to some performance-enhancing treatment. If you need 20" of bar then I'd go for a 60cc model like an 034, 036, MS360, Husky 359, etc. If you can live with 16" or 18", go for a 50cc model like the 028, 026, MS260, Husky 353 or 346xp, etc.

Farmer up the road is selling his for $250 but I don't think he will bother packaging it up and shipping it.

I was using his as an example and yes a 2159 or Husky 359 generally will bring between $250 and $300 used.

You asked if it was newer. Not sure on dates but I'd say they came out in the late 1990s and were still being sold up until a few years ago.

Another option would be to look at a Makita / Dolmar 6400. Home Depot uses the Makita 6400 as it's professional grade rental saw. Makita owns Dolmar and this is the same saw as a Dolmar 6400. Home Depot does sell their rental fleet every so often. It might be worth making a call to your local Home Depot rental department and asking. Because the Makita / Dolmar 6400 is one heck of a saw. Made in Germany by Dolmar. 64cc very powerful and modern. Might be able to grab a rental for cheap $$ ??

Here is the HD lookup---http://www6.homedepot.com/used-tools/index.html
I have worked on chainsaws for over 50 years and my Go To saw is Makita/Dolmar.
If you ever run one, you will be impressed!

Reactions: kavu and Wildo
The Dolmar line is underloved in lot of parts of the US- very small dealer base in the past and dang near no advertising but are 100 % pro saws. Nor do they have a home owner/ contractor/pro line up to confuse the consumer on what he/she is paying for. My only regret is that I wasn't able to get my hands on a 120cc or the 90 cc units when they were available stateside.

Reactions: Catfish Hunter
The Dolmar line is underloved in lot of parts of the US- very small dealer base in the past and dang near no advertising but are 100 % pro saws. Nor do they have a home owner/ contractor/pro line up to confuse the consumer on what he/she is paying for. My only regret is that I wasn't able to get my hands on a 120cc or the 90 cc units when they were available stateside.

You are correct about dealer network. I guess its much better in other countries but that doesn't help us. As for myself, I never go to any dealer for parts, I purchase all from internet web sites or buy used on eBay.
I says something about quality in that Home Depot (in my area) sells Echo chainsaws but they rent Makitas?

Ive never seen a Dolmar in my area. Actually I have never seen one period but there is a dealer 50 or so miles away.

Ive never seen a Dolmar in my area. Actually I have never seen one period but there is a dealer 50 or so miles away.

That's the problem with Dolmar they never developed a good dealer network. Which is too bad because the performance, value, and quality is through the roof ! Although I suspect had Dolmar developed a larger dealer group and network and invested in advertising and marketing the price of their saws would be higher and there goes the value out the window.

For the big tree companies out there I've heard Dolmar doesn't have any sort of fleet program like Stihl, Husky, and Jonsered has in place. If this is actually true than you can forget about big companies or cities and counties making fleet purchases without a dealer discount.

I have no idea where Dolmar is most popular in the country ? Stihl is strong everywhere with market share. Husky and Jonsered are very strong in the upper Midwest where I'm located.

The place where I bought my Jonsereds also sells Dolmar so I've had a chance to demo all of them actually. And a buddy of mine has a 6100 and I've run it and man that saw is awesome.

If you ever stumble across a Dolmar to demo you should give it a go. Very nice saws indeed.

You are correct about dealer network. I guess its much better in other countries but that doesn't help us. As for myself, I never go to any dealer for parts, I purchase all from internet web sites or buy used on eBay.
I says something about quality in that Home Depot (in my area) sells Echo chainsaws but they rent Makitas?

I read somewhere that the Dolmar brand will be discontinued in the US once all old stock has been sold. The new saws will all be branded as Makita and will be orange. No more blue. But who knows when that will happen. And who knows if it's true ?

So I'm wondering does that mean current Dolmar dealers will become Makita dealers ? And have to sell electric power tools too ?

I wanted to give you an update and say that I am NOT the owner of a new 028
Kinda bummed
I called the auction house on Thursday last week and they said the saw was recently tooned up and starts good
Then I get to the auciton and when they hold the saw up they say it needs carb work and the saw will not start and the pull start doesnt work.

Not knowing what all was wrong with it I quit bidding at 50 bucks.
Not sure how high I should have went but 50 was all I was comfortable with.

So im still on the hunt.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Auctions can be good, bad or indifferent. I generally do not attended them any more as the equipment that has the most interest to me is mostly all ready sold prior to the auction. A rather closed network of good old boys around the area. I have made a few good buys off of CL though. But with either you have to know what you are looking at. Good for you for setting a limit and pulling the plug when reached. Another thing that happens at auctions is shills in the crowd to boost the price ( supposed to be illegal- still going on ) After you attend a bunch you notice the same faces and also notice that some bid and quit early all the time. Another thing to be aware of which started a few years ago is an added 10% or more buyers fee. Over all auctions in my area are not worth my time anymore.