Used MS 460? Used MS 440? Something else? Saw advice needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garrin

Jul 10, 2022
West-Central Illinois
Howdy All,

Looking to buy a saw in the 60-70cc range. I mostly get my wood dropped off from a tree company and it is occasionally huge. I've been using my FILs farm boss, but want to get something of my own.

I typically don't shy away from used things, but am new to the wide world of saws. Linked below are a few saws on my localish FB marketplace.

Thoughts on these? Should I just buy something new? Things to look for in used saws?

Open to any and all advice. I am not particularly mechanically minded, but can learn.

Thank you!

They both look decent in pictures. Both are good/proven models

I would try to get a feel for the owner(s) and go look at who's ever saw gives you the best feeling about them.

People with a bit of know-how would take off the muffler and have a look at the exhaust side of the piston, pull the air filter and check for dirt in the carb throat, and a few other things. A good owner will honestly help you decide.

I usually end up giving a few lessons when I sell a saw depending on the buyer. It's kind-of insurance that the buyer doesn't screw up a good saw as soon as they get it home..

I'm of the opinion that new models are junk (almost) and the right models of old saws are desireable. That 440 is a very desirable model. With the 460 not far behind.

Oh, and the best thing you can do regarding chainsaws is learn how to sharpen the chain. With a file. Freehand.

If the cost doesn't matter, then buy new. You'll probably be happy. You are looking at used professional saws. Stay on track with that. Look at new professional saws. Many salesman will talk you into a "farm" saw. They will do the job, but are in a different universe of performance, handling, and to an extent, durability.

If you are generally cutting 20" and bigger trees get a 70-80cc saw. Many salesmen will talk you into a 60cc saw with a 24" bar. 24" bars belong on 70cc and up saws.

Anyway, good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: all night moe
Watch out for clones
The pictures of the 440 look suspicious, The top cover badge is what i see as a possible aftermarket cover.Without better pictures it's hard to tell for sure.
A used 440 in like new condition usually will go for more than the original price and not hang around long enough for price drops.
Plus the two pictures are two different saws, if you look at the decals on the hand guard you will see the difference.
the 460 looks legit
Pull the mufflers to be sure that it's a healthy saw.

I’d be getting a new Echo. With warranty.

There's not an echo ever made that will compare to those two saws. However, as noted, the 440 looks fishy..

but the echos are ok, just not what some profess them to be.

That Stihl ms 440 looks new - and the price dropped down to $450 (price cut almost in half). If it isn't a clone that is a good deal. Move now or it will be gone in a couple of days - obviously the seller wants it gone. That saw is much better than a Farm Boss.

Last edited:
That Stihl ms 440 looks new - and the price dropped down to $450 (price cut almost in half). If it isn't a clone that is a good deal. Move now or it will be gone in a couple of days - obviously the seller wants it gone. That saw is much better than a Farm Boss.
Why the two pic's of different saws in the same ad ?
too fishy to take a chance

Watch out for clones
The pictures of the 440 look suspicious, The top cover badge is what i see as a possible aftermarket cover.Without better pictures it's hard to tell for sure.
A used 440 in like new condition usually will go for more than the original price and not hang around long enough for price drops.
Plus the two pictures are two different saws, if you look at the decals on the hand guard you will see the difference.
the 460 looks legit
Pull the mufflers to be sure that it's a healthy saw.
Agree completely about the 440. According to a google search Stihl stopped producing the 440 roughly 10 years ago. I have a hard time believing that a saw looks that good is used, not unless it's NOS stock. If it was NOS stock then it wouldn't be sold for that price. I'm pretty sure that on the clones, the recoil assembly looks nothing like a real deal Stihl. My guess is, that's why there aren't any pictures of it.

With that said, I recently built a 372XP clone from a box of parts and it runs pretty good. If I sold it, I wouldn't sell it as a Husky though I'd sell it as a clone.

Last edited:
My clone 660 runs great.

Thanks for the replies, all.

I reached out to the 460 guy but he hasn't responded (he looks nice, posts about the garlic he's growing- so I trust him).

Haven't reached out to the 440 guy, but with him not having anything but a name for his profile and the saw being sketchier, I'm thinking I'm willing to spend a bit more for the 460, even though it's old enough for drivers ed.

Also had a tree guy who drops off logs offer to sell his old MS310 or MS362 C, but I know that tree guys put a lot of hours on their saws, so I'm hesitant there.

Wow, i didn't know that 440 clones looked that close to the real stihls.

My clone 660 runs great.

So does mine. Impressive, in fact.

So is my little "chainsaw" chainsaw top handle.

Those are saws at the extreme ends of my usage, so I couldn't justify the real things in either case.

Most of my wood is 50-70cc territory. In that size range, I have several name brand pro saws which get by far the most use. Just for the heck of it tho (and to give the tiny saw a real workout), I probably cut nearly a third of this year's firewood with the tiny saw. It was miraculously capable. I was surprised. It shows no signs of any problems whatsoever to this point.

Checked that 460 ad through your link again. It says it's sold...

If you didn't buy that 460 op, a word of advice: Good saws sell fast. Like within hours, usually. So you gotta have an idea what you want and jump on the good prospects immediately.

I’ve been thinking about another saw for some years. Went back and forth between models, and finally made up my mind. I have an 036 (18”), 250 (16”), and 009. I’ve settled on a new 400 (unless I change my mind again), but I don’t have it yet. Hopefully soon…I have two sons (19 and 14) that help me cut wood. Usually we can get a winter’s supply cut in 2 days.

I’ve been thinking about another saw for some years. Went back and forth between models, and finally made up my mind. I have an 036 (18”), 250 (16”), and 009. I’ve settled on a new 400 (unless I change my mind again), but I don’t have it yet. Hopefully soon…I have two sons (19 and 14) that help me cut wood. Usually we can get a winter’s supply cut in 2 days.
I have had a 400 for 2 yrs. I have 20" and 25" bars for it. Put a Bark Box on it a year ago. It will put a smile on your face but a frown on your ears. It is wicked loud.

I have had a 400 for 2 yrs. I have 20" and 25" bars for it. Put a Bark Box on it a year ago. It will put a smile on your face but a frown on your ears. It is wicked loud.

Does it pull the 25” through Osage well? That’s almost all that I cut. I use RS chains on my other 36 and 250.

Does it pull the 25” through Osage well? That’s almost all that I cut. I use RS chains on my other 36 and 250.
Yes it does. I use stihl's skip on hedge. However it is a square grind so you need a file to fit.
The only thing about the 25" is the saw is a little stingy on oil. They say the oil pump from a 461 sloves that problem. Have not done that yet.

Pass

044,440, 460,461

372xp, later 372xt (the earlier models had some issues due mostly to quality control).

In the meantime, eegads, buy a chinese 60cc saw (really a 55cc) for about 100 bux on sale.

You'll be pleasantly surprised by the china saw, while satisfying an urge, having a capable saw on hand, and giving yourself time to find a pristine, proven, durable older model. They are out there, but you have to be patient and you have to check the "for sales" daily and jump on it fast.

Huh, just checked your amazon. There's not a plethora of zenoah g5000 clones as available in canada. As far as I can tell.

Yes there is, I had to do away with a "restriction" which disallowed me seeing most of the product.

100 bucks and you have breathing room...and a saw which works shockingly good for 100 bucks.

Last edited:
Neither is 70cc. The 310 is a clamshell and a 65cc I think, but not a rip-snortin saw by any stretch.

The 362, while a decent saw, is 59cc and overpriced, imo for a saw used commercially.

If you are cutting big wood, a 70 and a 60 are night and day different.

When you do get a saw, mix at 40:1 minimum and use good oil. The Stihl oil I have used is not particularly good oil.

Last edited: