Which bigger saw to buy....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have seen dirtier saws new in the dealership.
Nice. 44x's are very hard to find in good condition, around here. Popular pro saw, and they get a lot of hours.

My 660 gets heavier every year. I've got a 36" bar on it currently, and it seems heavy to me compared to the featherweight limbing saws, that's for sure.
I have a 36" bar for my 064, which I very seldom use, and yes... that makes it a very unpleasant saw. Not only is the bar heavy, but it's very nose heavy with that bar. I run a 28" ES bar on that saw 95% of the time, and it's still a tad nose heavy, but very useable. I'm not yet to the phase of life where things start feeling heavier each year.

Ashful sir... I only have 3 thoughts for you.

1) I am not man enough to use an 85cc saw "most of the time"

2) In lower Michigan, I don't have enough big wood (and burn enough) to justify an 85cc saw
For several years, most of what I was bringing home was over 40" diameter. You can process this wood with a smaller saw, but it's going to take a very long time.

3) I have too much time on my hands and am happy enough cutting slowly with my 50-70cc saw
That's great, but this is where we differ. Time is my single biggest constraint, in all endeavors.

I can safely say I am 100% comfortable with any of the above 3 options... I used a 066 for 3 years living in CT and I only used it for felling big wood.
I cut on a friend's property, and he likes to keep all of the more manageable stuff for himself and his brother. That means I'm usually taking the big stuff he doesn't want, which is fun to fell, but hell to process.

I also won't deny there's some fun factor, here. A motor head at heart, I'm known to drive small cars with comically big engines, too. I could likely get thru any stick I've ever cut with a 50cc saw, but it's so much better letting that 064 rip thru it in half the time.

That chic needs some chaps, eye protection, a helmet, and to be careful with the nose of that saw around those stacked logs. Exactly the situation where kickback occurs most in my experience. She's all tough now, but that saw could bite her so fast, she'll never know what hit her.

the more I look at her technique, the more I fear for her safety_g

Well, that girl can have my man card. I am in pretty decent shape in my late 30's, 5'11" and 185 lbs and I don't see a world where the 85cc does more than the occasional cut.

Can't say whether I am the majority or minority here... To each their own. For my wallet's sake, glad I live in a world where the 441 will be all the saw I will likely ever need.

Nice. 44x's are very hard to find in good condition, around here. Popular pro saw, and they get a lot of hours.

I have a 36" bar for my 064, which I very seldom use, and yes... that makes it a very unpleasant saw. Not only is the bar heavy, but it's very nose heavy with that bar. I run a 28" ES bar on that saw 95% of the time, and it's still a tad nose heavy, but very useable. I'm not yet to the phase of life where things start feeling heavier each year.

For several years, most of what I was bringing home was over 40" diameter. You can process this wood with a smaller saw, but it's going to take a very long time.

That's great, but this is where we differ. Time is my single biggest constraint, in all endeavors.

I cut on a friend's property, and he likes to keep all of the more manageable stuff for himself and his brother. That means I'm usually taking the big stuff he doesn't want, which is fun to fell, but hell to process.

I also won't deny there's some fun factor, here. A motor head at heart, I'm known to drive small cars with comically big engines, too. I could likely get thru any stick I've ever cut with a 50cc saw, but it's so much better letting that 064 rip thru it in half the time.

Is this a home video?

Congrats on the new saw a 50 and 70cc combo for me also is the best for my needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everyone has their priorities and opinions of whats important, that's why they make like 50 different ones with all the features. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Reactions: Jerhurt and Ashful
That chic needs some chaps, eye protection, a helmet, and to be careful with the nose of that saw around those stacked logs. Exactly the situation where kickback occurs most in my experience. She's all tough now, but that saw could bite her so fast, she'll never know what hit her.

If you look at her bulging hips...
I think she is wearing chainsaw pants.
She should still have eye protection.

36x is not a big saw. They work hard to keep up with a 20” bar nose buried in oak. It’s a good firewood saw, for folks who don’t get into much big stuff, but I find I rarely use mine.

The 44x is often cited as a great single saw. Big enough to do big boy work, in a pinch, light enough to not be a hinderance. It’s one of the most popular pro saws, around here.

I’m a big fan of the 064, but of course that’s long-discontinued, now. If replacing that today, I’d just buy a used 660 Magnum or a new 661 C-M. I’d not go bigger than the 66x, because that handles anything I come across, myself.
I have been blessed yet again and dawn will find me firing up the 660 to whittle on some oak logs up to and including 56 inches across...there is approx. a semi load and a half...I will have to noodle a lot of these big boys just to get them in the bobcat bucket to load up the dump trailer..I have 10 fresh chains and the 660 will make short work of it...and I will be bringing the training wheels as well.

Reactions: Ashful
Note to self: re-watch video tonight. Focus on bulging hips.

I took your advice and watched again, I still don't see no stinking protection. Bad technique also, but hey, she's on youtube now, so there's that.

Reactions: Ashful