Saw help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Killbill

Jan 14, 2017
New jersey
My co worker is selling a ms 290 for 200 dollars with no chain or bar should I buy that or just spring for a new ms 271 thanks in advanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With no bar & chain it sounds a little high to me.

Reactions: Killbill
Check the compression on that 290 and if its 150 plus jump all over it as it will cut circles around that 271!

Reactions: Killbill
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know what your end use with this saw will be but I am real fond of running full chisel 3/8ths chain and a 3/8ths sprocket on these smaller saws and keep it to a 16 in bar. They will flat get with the program! Another benefit to the 290 is that you can adjust the carb unlike the new EPA choked 271.

The 290 being an older saw is heavy with rubber mounted AV compared to the new 271 which is lighter and has Spring AV. The 290 is heavy for what little power it makes and has terrible power to weight ratio. The 271 is not that far off in power and is a nicer ( more modern ) saw.

What are you using the saw for ? Mainly small trees and limbing downed trees ? Me personally I'd be happier with the 271 especially as a limbing saw. For cutting logs on the ground it probably makes less of a difference. The 271 is just an overall better saw to run.

However if your shopping for new 271s that tells me your willing to drop $400 ? If that's the case for about $50 more you can get a new Husky 545 or the Jonsered version 2252. These are commercial grade pro 50cc saws with magnesium cases. Similar to a Stihl 026,260,261 if your not familiar with other brands. By comparison the 290/271 you are considering are plastic clam shell saws. Less durable and lower build quality. If your going for brand new in my opinion it's an easy decision to spend the extra $50 to get a magnesium case Swedish saw over a plastic clam German saw.

My 2 cents.

The 290 being an older saw is heavy with rubber mounted AV compared to the new 271 which is lighter and has Spring AV. The 290 is heavy for what little power it makes and has terrible power to weight ratio. The 271 is not that far off in power and is a nicer ( more modern ) saw.

What are you using the saw for ? Mainly small trees and limbing downed trees ? Me personally I'd be happier with the 271 especially as a limbing saw. For cutting logs on the ground it probably makes less of a difference. The 271 is just an overall better saw to run.

However if your shopping for new 271s that tells me your willing to drop $400 ? If that's the case for about $50 more you can get a new Husky 545 or the Jonsered version 2252. These are commercial grade pro 50cc saws with magnesium cases. Similar to a Stihl 026,260,261 if your not familiar with other brands. By comparison the 290/271 you are considering are plastic clam shell saws. Less durable and lower build quality. If your going for brand new in my opinion it's an easy decision to spend the extra $50 to get a magnesium case Swedish saw over a plastic clam German saw.

My 2 cents.

In the $400 range, what do you think of the echo CS-590? Seems like a great saw from what I have read. I was looking for a saw that will last me a while with light to moderate use. I have always had the cheap 100-200 saws but wanted a quality one that would last me without going too crazy on price since I try to find already cut wood. Is the Husky 545 and the Jonsered 2252 the best options in this price range? Thanks in Advance.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Just sold my used 026 in top shape for 325. It would run a 20" bar and full chain. Couldn't bear down on it like my 36 but it did a great job. The 028 super was a screamer as well. Both were good all around saws.

Reactions: Jazzberry
50 vs 60 cc and 20" bar on an 026 is pushing it. Its real happy at 16 to 18". You got a good price on your sale they go for a little less around my area. I have 5 of them at the moment lol

50 vs 60 cc and 20" bar on an 026 is pushing it. Its real happy at 16 to 18". You got a good price on your sale they go for a little less around my area. I have 5 of them at the moment lol
It's also helped that 90% of what I cut was less than 20". I liked the extra length to save on the back! Unless I go over 20 the 044 can stay in the truck.

Reactions: Jon1270