Sawhorse thought

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prof

Minister of Fire
Oct 18, 2011
Western PA
I mostly don't use a sawhorse, but I noticed this one https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200673744_200673744

For about 1/2 second, I thought that it would be a good idea to have a metal sawhorse. Then, of course, I thought of what happens to a chain when you hit the smallest piece of metal embedded in a tree. Maybe it is just me, but if I used this thing I'd probably be throwing a fair number of chains away!

I'm curious what others think?

When I first started processing my own firewood I would take nearly every stick of wood somebody offered. I found the smaller diameter pieces had a tendency to spin and jump around and were a real pain to work with. My research led me to sawhorses. I built one similar to the first link out of pressure treated 2x4s. Works very well and has countless hits from the chain.

The more firewood I processed the more I realized the efficiency was in the big pieces, the trunk and larger branches. But...how the hell do you get them up on a sawhorse? You don't!! Cut the trunk on the ground, leave the sticks for somebody else or mulch them.

Bottom line...I haven't used my sawhorse in years and would have burned it a long time ago but it's pressure treated so I keep it to remind me to work smarter not harder.

I agree with you ZZ Tom but I seldom have the opportunity to fell big trees. Most of the trees I cut are less than 18” in diameter, so I find it practical to cut them 4’ long and fill my pickup. Once at home I cut to length and it’s a pleasure to not bend my back once more. My back is the only reason for that sawhorse, only 10 years ago I would have laughed at it. It’s the advantage of getting older I suppose.

I mostly don't use a sawhorse, but I noticed this one https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200673744_200673744

For about 1/2 second, I thought that it would be a good idea to have a metal sawhorse. Then, of course, I thought of what happens to a chain when you hit the smallest piece of metal embedded in a tree. Maybe it is just me, but if I used this thing I'd probably be throwing a fair number of chains away!

I'm curious what others think?

I have a sawhorse very similar to that and I place a length of 3" x 3" timber in the 'V' part. Then the log I want to cut sits on top of that. It means that when I have cut through the log the 3 x 3 stops the saw from following through. The timber is semi-sacrificial and needs replacing from time to time.

Reactions: Prof
I use a sawbuck--lots of photos and videos on the internet, but what I do is take a 2 foot diameter log and screw some scrap lumber to it so the scrap lumber makes a v shape, with the log just below the bottom of the v. Do this in 3 or 4 places, pile the branches on it, and saw the whole pile to length. When you overcut, you just hit the log.

All kinds of dead white ash around here. Along with making good firewood, I have made a few things from it. This saw buck only took me about 30 minutes to make. Just used some timber screws left from building my deck. If I can handle the log in an 8' chunk or more, I leave it long and cut them up on the buck (as you can see from the pile waiting to be bucked). Anything I can't handle at that length, I buck where I find it.

Attachments

• IMG_3143.jpg
    IMG_3143.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 203
I try to avoid lifting logs unnecessarily, so a sawbuck is not something I bother with. I cut 3/4 of the way through logs along the entire length while they are on the ground. A quick 180 degree roll to finish the cuts. The rounds are then kick-rolled out of the way to await splitting.

Yeah, I have to bend over for the initial cut, but i’m Not lifting the log or the rounds, so I think it’s easier on the back at the end of the day.

I’d say give a few methods a shot and see what works best.

Reactions: vtwoodheater
I try to avoid lifting logs unnecessarily, so a sawbuck is not something I bother with. I cut 3/4 of the way through logs along the entire length while they are on the ground. A quick 180 degree roll to finish the cuts. The rounds are then kick-rolled out of the way to await splitting.

Yeah, I have to bend over for the initial cut, but i’m Not lifting the log or the rounds, so I think it’s easier on the back at the end of the day.

I’d say give a few methods a shot and see what works best.
I mostly do things as you described. I was more interested if people had experience with metal sawhorses--just seems like a chain wrecker to me. I'm all about saving my back. I also find a cant hook to be a useful tool for the rolling. I don't always use one, but often wish I had remembered it.

I don't use a sawbuck, and agree with all the reasons everyone said. For me it's all about reducing how many lifts / moves of the wood I need to make. Most of my wood comes from bucking up full trees. The key to cutting small diameter limbs, is to have the tree hold everything for you. I start cutting branches, from the end to there attachment to the trunk. If I can, I like to use a timber jack to lift the trunk off the ground. By the time i'm done there a pile of rounds on the ground that makes a nice cutting platform to cut up anything that's left.

I bought the sawhorse in the original post, was kind of wobbly and not well built. I screwed pressure treated 1 x 1s to each l piece and its strong as a bull now. I've never had my saw hit the metal, pretty easy to avoid cutting where the metal is.