Scariest Setup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wjohn

Burning Hunk
Jul 27, 2021
KS
Until biting the bullet and buying a new wood stove, I had been keeping an eye out for used stoves online. This one was on FB marketplace. The seller said it was in a rental house he had purchased and the previous renters installed it, and he was now in possession of it and trying to sell it to get it out of there. If so, this is why renters are so much fun, haha. Yikes.

Mods, if this should be elsewhere in the forum, I apologize. It was too good not to share, though.

199919084_4087437304639176_2773949563713269494_n.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Zombie and begreen
There is an old thread with crazy stupid installs. I can't believe this one didn't cause a fire...

Not sure how you get the wood in this one--might be BS.

The top of the barrel has a piano hinge at the middle

• Haha
Reactions: Shrewboy
Heres one I saw on marketplace this year! And the stove it came with was a franklin…because of course it is haha05432A89-A1FF-4EEF-A287-D86EEC0C0028.jpeg42A8EC52-CFAB-499D-9961-1EBFE06237F4.jpeg

Yes, that is a scary one for sure. It's pretty irresponsible to post that image on Facebook marketplace. I sure hope no one thinks of trying this in their home. The landlord should take that whole setup to the scrapyard.

The seller did at least say "would be a good heater for shop or garage" but they were just trying to get one or two hundred bucks out of it vs. the $5 it would bring in scrap. Buyer beware, for sure.

They were a lot of those conversion kits around back in the day. As a kid I would read Mother Earth. It was probably where I first saw them. Did they 35 and 55 gallon kits. At the time I thought it was so cool. The last one I saw was in a wood shed turned into a sauna. I recall it working well. If you had one of these, did the thin barrel steel hold up?

Neighbor down the road had the barrel sticking through a window (yes, half the barrel in and half the barrel out) with a 6’ stack on it two winters ago. Think he moved it to a bedroom window last winter. Wish I would have got a picture now!

Neighbor down the road had the barrel sticking through a window (yes, half the barrel in and half the barrel out) with a 6’ stack on it two winters ago. Think he moved it to a bedroom window last winter. Wish I would have got a picture now!
Yikes! That would've been a good pic for sure... Or a bad one, depending on how you look at it.

Maybe you can just dump the ashes straight out the back? :)

That looks like galvanized pipe for the flue....

I spied this one on a real estate listing, looks like the wall was about to light off sooner than later...

64B69306-FFB2-4AE1-B0D9-09AC87A5369C.png 7C38AE80-8474-48A1-9758-F1932C9A0234.png

• Wow
Reactions: Shrewboy
The smoke stains tell the whole story.