Schrader Fireplace Stupid Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilith72

Nov 4, 2016
Colorado
Hi there, I'm new to the whole wood stove thing. I'm used to having a handle of some sort to pull down to open/close the flue. I have a fireplace like this one with the pipe coming out the top of it to the ceiling. This is a totally stupid question but where do I open and close the flue on this? There is nothing on the exterior anywhere. Sorry to be so dim, but I figured this is the place to ask after I ran my hand up inside where the stove met the pipe and didn't feel anything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1005141822a.jpg
    1005141822a.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 358
How is this stove installed, in a fireplace or freestanding? If freestanding it's typical to see a pipe damper a little bit above the flue collar on the stove. In a fireplace though this is not typical as there normally isn't room to safely reach in and adjust it.

How is this stove installed, in a fireplace or freestanding? If freestanding it's typical to see a pipe damper a little bit above the flue collar on the stove. In a fireplace though this is not typical as there normally isn't room to safely reach in and adjust it.
It's free standing. I stuck my hand up where I thought the flue collar was but couldn't feel anything sticking out to turn or flip.

Add a butterfly damper about a foot above the flue collar in the flue pipe. Leave it open when starting the fire and reloading.
Damper.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.