Q&A Science fair - Kindling facts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Dear Mr. Issod, My name is Emily, I'm an eighth grade student at Redwood Day School in Oakland, Ca. For my science fair project this year I am going to test and compare different types of kindling (How quickly they light, how long they burn) and I was wondering if you could maybe give me some background information, suggestions, tips, or insights. Please respond before too long, the fair is on February 11. Muchas Gracias, Emily

Answer:

How well kindling will light is dependent on many factors.

1. The species (lighter woods (less dense) will light easier
2. Pitch (tar) content - This is the amount of chemicals in the wood
3. Moisture - very dry wood lights easier
4. Size - Smaller sticks burn faster and hotter
5. Stacking - Proper stacking (with air between) makes a better fire.

Different woods have different properties. Very hard woods, like Oak, have excellent "coaling" capabilities (they make long-burning red-hot coals), but are hard to light. Woods like pine, cedar and spruce are very easy to ignite but will not burn for a long period of time.

Then there is a question of what you are trying to ignite with the kindling. If you are trying to ignite coal (very high ignition temperature), then you must use Oak or other hardwoods in order to obtain the required hot embers to ingnite coal. If you are trying to ignite wood, then any kindling will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.