Score! or bust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Guys,
Split and stacked 4 cords this spring. Some by hand but mostly with a splitter. Looking for a used splitter to buy not sure what ton is needed. Is a 20 ton sufficient for a homeowners firewood duties? I'd hate to buy something that can't get through all I cut and can't afford to go overkill. I have twin babies and a 3 year old. Pretty busy here and hand splitting was taking me forever...
Thanks!

Thanks Guys,
Split and stacked 4 cords this spring. Some by hand but mostly with a splitter. Looking for a used splitter to buy not sure what ton is needed. Is a 20 ton sufficient for a homeowners firewood duties? I'd hate to buy something that can't get through all I cut and can't afford to go overkill. I have twin babies and a 3 year old. Pretty busy here and hand splitting was taking me forever...
Thanks!

I think most folks here will tell you that 20-24 ton is perfect for splitting up most wood you'll run across.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
Thanks Guys,
Thanks!

I borrowed a 22 ton Huskee from a friend before I got mine and loved it. Had a good cycle time and nothing stopped it. I ended up getting a used 27 ton Troy Bilt that has served me well so far, and has never been stopped. My friend has a 27 ton Ariens that we actually nearly stalled out a few times splitting some nasty sugar maple so I can't recommend that one.

I would call the tree service and tell them where in the yard you have stashed the next box of beer so they can deliver more free wood when you aren't even home to help unload the truck.

Very nice score.

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
Not sure how anyone could think of this as a bust . . . unless the wood was all punky and riddled with flesh-eating ants and poison ivy.

Any time any one gets free wood dropped in their yard is a score in my book . . . I don't care what type of wood it is . . . although some scores are better than others.
I agree. If it is in good condition, the type of wood is irrelevant considering it was dropped in his driveway. I would heat my home with whatever species they brought me if I could get my entire score brought to me like that.

Reactions: Applesister
Nice score, bmore! I mix soft maple like that with BL to get it going. Another vote for the huskee 22. Congrats also on getting a tree guy connect. They might get a kick out of this next time:

images.jpg

I've had a 22 ton for years and it's yet to be stopped. Nice score with the wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.