Scored some hollow beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Nice beech for next year. High on BTU charts.
1dcfdfc6ee724f7384db6a61e4d1f8b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2-3 yrs best!

Some nice wood there, you'll like it. I changed my opinion of beech this year. In the past, the limited amount of beech I burned, seemed to me to produce an awful lot of light fluffy ash in the stove, so much so it turned me against it. 4 years ago the state cut all the beech along a mountain road to prevent the diseased trees from falling on the road. With a permit it was open to cut. Filling my 4 cord stack was easy work that year. All the wood came from live, solid trees. Well, this winter, my entire season of wood was that beech. For the life of me, I cannot understand how I arrived at my opinion of it. Burning it exclusively was as good if not better than the oaks and cherry I normally go after. Burned hot and long and coaled nice. And there were no more ashes than any other wood, Just proved to me, after many years burning wood there is always something to be learned.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Beech burns great--makes up about a third of the stuff I use. The large hollow ones scare the crap out of me--I avoid felling them. I always give a beech a couple good wacks with the blunt end of the ax to see if it sounds hollow. If it is, I either leave it to fall in its own time or call a pro if it absolutely needs to come down.

Beech burns great--makes up about a third of the stuff I use. The large hollow ones scare the crap out of me--I avoid felling them. I always give a beech a couple good wacks with the blunt end of the ax to see if it sounds hollow. If it is, I either leave it to fall in its own time or call a pro if it absolutely needs to come down.
Me too! Woods were select cut, so it's all down and easy to cut!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just cut a beech today and it was frightening... I have seen several beech trees split up the trunk when hollow.. they are very dangerous to cut... today i cut one.. it started to fall and I ran like hell... but .. it stopped.. i sneaked bake up to it and gave it another swipe with the saw.. and it leaned some more and stopped again... so once more i went back from my safety zone and took another inch of back cut out.. this time it fell... once it hit the ground.... i belted out the hugest sigh of relief... watch those hollow beeches!

Reactions: Lone_Gun