Scotch Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

all night moe

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2015
earth
Have 3 on the homestead that need to come down. If I recall correctly, the grain is somewhat dense.
How's the burn? Length of season time?

Funny story.... My Dad bought some land in 1974.... he wanted to grow Christmas Trees. So, in the spring of 1975... I was in 4th grade, he took me out of school to ride a tree planter for a few days. We planted those nasty things all over the hills.... And they grew... and grew... and he sold some off and left the rest grow...

Now I own the land... and over the last 5 years or so I have waged a campaign to get rid of all the scotch pine on the place... It dosn't make for good timber and dosn't make for good wild life habitat.

The Scotch Pine I planted in 1974 have been heating my house for the last 4 years...

I let mine dry to long and now it burns like corrugated cardboard. But, Say, If a guy was to not split it too small and only let it season two summers... you will do good.... I always really like to see the ones filled really thick with pine pitch.... those will burn hot...

Scotch pine is tough to split... so ne prepared with a good gas wood splitter.

I have no experience burning it, but I did cut up a couple faces cords of it last spring/summer. We have some scotch pines along the road that we’re taking out. I figured it would be good for the syrup evaporator wood at least.

I’ll see what the Mc is when I burn it in a couple months. Well, maybe next month if this spring is like last spring was.

It wasn’t terrible to split, but the ones I cut up definitely had a twist to them. Not sure if they’re all like that.

I also have some red pine slab wood that I’ll compare it to. The trees look very similar, and I didn’t even know they were two different types of pine until someone pointed out the differences to me. I’m not much of a conifer guy. Damn east coasters ;lol