Screws into flex liner by installer - photo ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hestia

Jan 21, 2008
Eastern MA
Hi,this is probably fine, (they know we are having an inspector) but I was taking photos of our install (today!) and this photo looked odd. We had been going from double walled stove pipe (for safety & clearances with cats) to a new flex liner in an existing chimney, but were told today that we could have the same price install for double wall stove pipe to piece of ovalized flex liner (to get it through our opening) to double walled stove pipe. We have heard that stove pipe was better for cleaning, so dh agreed. They installed a damper throat plate, and then attached the flex liner to the throat plate by screwing a bracket through the piece of flex liner (according to the photo.) Is this ok? I'm surprised you can just screw a support through the liner like this. :bug:

Thank! Will be posting photos of our Keystone (and the raised hearth I built) in the photos section.

Hestia

Attachments

• ovalized pipe.JPG
    ovalized pipe.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 448
I'm not a code man, but I would think if they are allowed to do that down at the stove, it would be ok at the block off plate also. Those screws will be sealed with ash etc in no time anyways.
And kudos for them installing a block off plate.
As for the rest of the set up, I am not sure I understand what your explaining as far as the double wall and where it is in the set up?

Hi, DH here.

I see where terminology got confusing in her initial post.

The stove pipe leading from the rear of the stove is the Close-clearance Double Wall stove pipe running ~18" to the stainless steel T. We chose double wall for animal (and perhaps human) safety not for clearance issues.

The chimney flue is lined with Heat-fab's 304 Saf-T Liner (which is also double walled) for the upper ~12ft attached to Homesavers ovalized SS flex liner at the bottom as it runs through the Throat Plate and terminates in the ovalized T. I chose to go with the rigid liner mainly because it was clear it would provide less surface area for creosote buildup and could only improve draft as well as be easier to clean. Looking at the insulation I was satisfied that it would not likely sag over time.

The top of the chimney the liner has a SS collar, plate and bracket sealing it with ~12" sticking out above the crown with the Cap on top of that. The total liner length is 14'7" to the stove pipe and the cap adds about 5" to that. Woodstock Soapstone's specs require a minimum of 14'.

Can't wait to get this inspected and fire it up. It's been a long time in coming.

DH, Good call on the rigid liner. I decided on a rigid liner beause the material is thicker, it doesn't move when you clean it and it would be much easier to clean. I don't read about too many people on this sight that use rigid. Maybe it's the price, it's a little more expensive than flex and the fact that most people with fireplaces can't manuver through the damper area without custom bends so the flex is an easier install.

Jim

I agree with your choice of set up, makes sense and rigid IMO is just a better beast & yes easier to clean.
I have an insert, but in a way a similar setup. I have pre-insualted s.s. rigid double wall from top to the lower first flue tile, then round s.s. flex from the first flue tile to the adapter which connects to the insert outlet.
At 27' I want it to be as easy to clean as possible. And the rigid does just that. And makes me feel safer. Of course I need 9-3' rods and the brush to clean it. And I can tell you, I know exactly the second I hit the flex portion of the liner. Its a night & day difference. Great choice, and let us know what the inspector says.

Status
Not open for further replies.