Scrounge in my backyard!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
Well ok, it's actually about 2 blocks away. A tree service came and limbed some trees of a neighbors house and I was able to convince them I'd pick it up if they left it. I just got half of it and it looks like about 2 solid truck loads!

I was told it was oak (confirmed that since the trees still had leaves) locust and hackberry. They cut it in various lengths mostly 3 to 4 feet and they range from 3" to 10" in diameter.

I've got a question about some of the hard woods I have been able to get lately. The amount of these woods probably is about a face cord worth. Should I split and stack all together or would you try to separate them out by species and if so what would be stacked first (I imagine the Oak) and would go out top, assuming the top would be ready to burn first.

My other racks will be probably emptied of the cottonwood I've got this year (it's drying pretty fast) so those racks will be available for spring use of other species.

Thanks in advance.

I stack mine all together, but I am more than two years ahead so it should all be seasoned before I get to it. Separating the wood types is more work, I'd need several unfinished stacks instead of only one, and I like to burn mixed loads.

schlot said:
I've got a question about some of the hard woods I have been able to get lately. The amount of these woods probably is about a face cord worth. Should I split and stack all together or would you try to separate them out by species and if so what would be stacked first (I imagine the Oak) and would go out top, assuming the top would be ready to burn first.

I keep the batches separate for one primary reason: when a test piece passes the test in the stove, the batch is ready for use. (Of course the MM gets involved, if anything for selecting a representative test piece.) No, I don't resplit every piece for the MM- decent approximation is just fine. Not anal.

Good to keep Red oak separated , it takes longer to dry.
But if 2 years from burning it, all mixed together would be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.