Seacoast NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epb

Oct 23, 2013
NH
Any suggestions as to what/where to buy? Last year was my first with a pellet stove and I stuck mostly with the big box brands, mostly because it was easier to just grab them as I needed them, but, also, because they were cheaper. Overall, my experience with them was fine. Maine's Choice kinda sucked and Green Supremes were OK, but Nature's Own had some great heat. I got a pretty good amount of ash with all of them, though, but compared to the one time I purchased "premium" pellets (LG's maybe?), I really didn't notice all that much difference.

Of course, once the shortage hit, it became harder and harder to rely on Lowe's or Home Depot (or anywhere) having anything in stock. This year, like many of you, I'm thinking I'm just going to buy a couple tons in advance and (hopefully) be done with it. That being said, any suggestions? I've heard great things about McManus Fuels in Barrington, but they've stopped delivering and I don't think they ever made it out to the Seacoast anyway. I'm considering just going with Lowe's or Home Depot again and paying the delivery fee. I don't think I've seen any Nature's Own this year, but my understanding is that it's the same as Fireside Ultras, which most Home Depots seem to have in stock. I've looked at some of the local shops that will deliver like Great Works Biofuels and Home & Hearth, but I'm having trouble justifying paying an extra $40-50 more per ton. I doubt that they'll burn so much better that I'll end up using that many fewer bags that I would save money, but if the lower ash content will extend the life of my stove, I could be swayed. Any thoughts?

Both Home and Hearth, and Bio Fuels are backed up for quite a while.
I spoke with both... they said 6-8 weeks.

I know it may not be what you want to hear, but if you want to be sure of getting some, consider the U Haul route..
If you don't know of anyone with truck, or trailer... Just sayin..
You might have a tough time finding a place to deliver (other than box stores)... even that is iffy.
McManus should be getting two loads soon. You will be able to pick a ton up, IF he gets them..
Right now, it's promises... promises.. got one load in to day, first one in two weeks. It's gone.
Asking for one a day...
One local dealer called and wanted 200 tons. That was good for a hearty laugh..

So, I ended up going to Home Depot and ordering a couple tons of Fireside Ultras last night. Maybe not the greatest pellet, but far from the worst. Looks like the Seabrook one may still have some if anyone else is still looking.

Seabrook HD had Presto Logs today, but only one open skid. They said they are getting a shipment in tomorrow of something else.

McManus Fuels is usually a good bet. Lowes Epping had Nature's Own today--picked up some bags to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.