Seal On Door Gasket On Jotul 550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Wondering just how snug a gasket needs to be. Checking with a dollar bill, I can't budge it anywhere else around the door but the area around the handle offers minimal resistance and I can pull it out fairly easily. It has been this way since insert was installed last winter.

Had a repair man out here today to replace a faulty blower and he also replaced the gasket in hopes to remedy the problem.

He took the gasket out and installed a new one. After installing the new one he didn't test it. (He didn't test the old one either before removing it...) I did ask if it should be tested but he shrugged it off and packed up and left.

I didn't push the issue as the whole job took a lot longer than I had planned for and I was late in getting on with my days chores... It looked snug and door was harder to close - I did check that.

After I thought about it for awhile I decided to go ahead and check it myself......it was still loose in the same area. :-S

Live and learn....I just can't believe I didn't check it while he was still here...anyway someone will call me who knows how to deal with warranty issues.

Now I am concerned that the door is warped. Hasn't taken my mind long to make a mountain out of a mole hill....

Back to original question.....How tough should it be to remove a dollar bill and if it is loose like mine is what is the worst case scenario?

2 types of gaskets. The old white ones should be hard to remove the dollar bill. The new ones with graphite will let the dollar bill slide fairly easily. This is due to the new ones not compressing as much to do the job. Some people are happier with the old style. If you think your door is warped then put a straight edge on it.

Gasket is grey as was the one he removed.

It does slide easily around the door but very snug - almost unmovable everywhere else.

How does a looser fit effect the fire?

What I am wondering is is this a bad thing or really just okay and no big deal...

Sounds like it's not a big deal if the stove is working well.

BeGreen said:
Sounds like it's not a big deal if the stove is working well.

Please explain 'stove working well'.

I get dirty glass on side that has looser gasket.

Not sure what to look for as an indicator of it being a problem....what are symptoms of it being a problem?

Fires burn at about 650*-700* when a full load and IR used to read pointed at top center of the blower outlet area - cooler on the 4 corners.

Don't know if more air is getting in creating those higher temps. making loads burn more quickly than maybe they could...

I really do not know what to look for here to as an indicator of it being problematic as it has been like it is now since insert was installed....nothing to compare it with.

Status
Not open for further replies.