Seal that fine box door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjohneel

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2011
Suburban Boston
I converted to gas last year so didn't use my Harman p35i much. But this winter with three unused tons of paid-for Barefoots in my garage it makes sense for me to burn pellets. After a week of good burning I decided to do a top-to-bottom clean, including a Linteater scrub of my 28' flue. I'm pretty rigorous in my cleaning so I was disappointed that after a good scrubbing my flame was anemic -- slow and dull. I re-pulled the stove, re-explored the flue thinking that I had maybe caused an obstruction at the very top; checked to see all of my connections, and on and on. Finally, today, after the third investigation, I noticed that I didn't put the fine box cover on right -- the wing nut was sealed at the bottom, but the top part of the cover wasn't properly seated on the tab. I just mention this because, well, you learn something new every day.

Reactions: jackman
I converted to gas last year so didn't use my Harman p35i much. But this winter with three unused tons of paid-for Barefoots in my garage it makes sense for me to burn pellets. After a week of good burning I decided to do a top-to-bottom clean, including a Linteater scrub of my 28' flue. I'm pretty rigorous in my cleaning so I was disappointed that after a good scrubbing my flame was anemic -- slow and dull. I re-pulled the stove, re-explored the flue thinking that I had maybe caused an obstruction at the very top; checked to see all of my connections, and on and on. Finally, today, after the third investigation, I noticed that I didn't put the fine box cover on right -- the wing nut was sealed at the bottom, but the top part of the cover wasn't properly seated on the tab. I just mention this because, well, you learn something new every day.

Dang, right before I was going to offer to take those Barefoot's off your hands to alleviate your dilemma.

Reactions: mrjohneel
Don't feel bad because your not the first nor will you be the last getting beat up by the fines box cover sealing properly. I always reach up and feel that the tab is inside the notch on the cover when i put mine back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.