Sealing a leaking ash plug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Snoman

Nov 1, 2023
Northern US
I have an older Osburn 1100 from the mid 90s with a round cast iron ash plug with an inadequate air seal- I can see a decent amount of flame right above the hole with the flue fully closed. I’ve looked at the plug and hole and don’t see any manufacturing defects or burrs, but it just doesn’t seem like a good design.

Osburn tech support suggested just using silicone and sealing the plug in place since I don’t have any plans on using the ash drawer feature, but should I use stove cement instead due to the heat?

Any other suggestions? I’ve seen people recommend putting a fire brick down, but I’d like to not have to worry about a crack in the brick down the road.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how hot that area gets. You could try some high-temp RTV.
Personally, I'd just cut a brick to fit the gap. It will last for years. Or let that space fill up with ash and don't clean it out.