Sealing off upstairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
I recently moved my bedroom to the first floor. It's more convenient but one disadvantage is I no longer experience the heat that rose from the wood stove. When on the 2nd floor the bedroom was quite warm, especially if the wood stove ran all day. I wonder what would be an effective way to keep more warm air on the 1st floor. I was thinking of a curtain, something easy to move for access. But looking at the shape/opening of the stairs with the railing and high ceiling there may not be an effective method that would still allow access.

For a couple of years a I installed heavy canvas tarps around stairwell...hung from the cieling, two elevations closed up the stairwell...

That sounds like the way to go. It seems like it would be worth the effort as it can be quite warm on the 2nd floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.