Sealing the joints on my wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erwin77

Dec 26, 2013
Downsville, NY
Hi all,
Quick question about sealing the joints on my wood stove. I can see that there are various air leaks (using a lighter while the stove is running) around the joints of my wood stove. Could I just run some furnace cement around the joints from the exterior, or do I have to disassemble the entire stove and rebuild?

Thanks!

Any pics of what your talking about or type of stove? But, I would have to say it will be the difference between a shoddy job or a good one.

The stove is a Vermont Castings Vigilant 1977. The joints I'm talking about are around the side panels and doors (not the gaskets). I guess I know that I should disassemble the entire stove and rebuild I'm now in the middle of the heating season and I would like to keep my down time to a minimum. I was just wondering if anybody has had luck with quick repairs for air leaks? would putting the furnace cement around the joints even be worth my while?

Last edited:
The joints I'm talking about are around the side panels and doors (not the gaskets)...

...would putting the furnace cement around the joints even be worth my while?

I put an old wood stove in my shed in the fall. First fire I noticed the same thing, leaking around the seams Not just air intake but also smoke leaking out before the stove and flue heated up. I smeared some cement around all the seams and even tried to work it in deeper; the same way you would work grease into a new wheel bearing. After allowing it to dry I started a small fire . It seemed to have solved the problem - temporarily. After 3 -4 fires hot enough to keep the shed warm I noticed the cement was drying out and flaking off. The problem was back. I'm going to take it apart and do it right in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.