Seam inside thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HearhFlame

Mar 19, 2023
Mercer
So I am planning on putting a pellet stove to the back wall as close as allowed by clearances which 2 inch away according to manufacturer.
Going straight through the wall and then up vertically.
How far does the appliance adapter stick out?
Looks like my only options of pipe are either 6-in piece or 12-in piece to get me out thru the thimble. I was trying to avoid the 12-in piece because I don't want to stick out too far from the siding on the outside.
Is 6-inch piece with adapter long enough to get me through the wall (looks like drywall, standard 2x4 , and siding on the outside)and then connecting to the T and be minimum one inch away from the siding?
Am i gonna regret not having enough clearance behind for servicing?
I understand the seam inside the thimble is a No- No. Come to think if it , it would not even apply in my case.

Last edited:
2" from stove back to wall front? Seems tight to me, too tight. The stove outlet will be that long.

All stoves are different, and not sure what one you have. Mine requires 8” from combustibles.

Yes you will certainly regret it if you don’t have room to work on it. 2” is crazy close. If you find you have to better seal the pipe connection, you won’t even be able to reach it. Or if you have access panels back there, you won’t even have room for a screwdriver, let alone be able to do anything back there. If you’ve got availabile room in front, I would make use of it. Look at the manual for service parts, and act like you’re working on it, to see how much room you really need to access pipes, motors, etc.

All stoves are different, and not sure what one you have. Mine requires 8” from combustibles.

Yes you will certainly regret it if you don’t have room to work on it. 2” is crazy close. If you find you have to better seal the pipe connection, you won’t even be able to reach it. Or if you have access panels back there, you won’t even have room for a screwdriver, let alone be able to do anything back there. If you’ve got availabile room in front, I would make use of it. Look at the manual for service parts, and act like you’re working on it, to see how much room you really need to access pipes, motors, etc.
Yes i started to think about it more and realized i won't have much room to seal around where the pipe goes tru thimble.
My reasoning was trying to keep itfrom sticking out too far into a walking path from living room into a dining room.
But that's why I'm here to eliminate most mistakes before I even make them thank you.

Okay so let's assume I go with the 12" pipe and give myself enough room in the back to service parts and maintenance, is there a type of connection between the adapter and the 12-in pipe that can be taken apart in case I need to move the stove away from the wall and have more access in the back?
I understand I have to silicone the adapter to the stove switch would make this part permanently attached. How can I attach the 12-in pipe to the adapter that would make it removable if necessary?
Or is it all silicone -shut and in case I need to move the stove I would have to break the seal on the whole setup on all the joints?
On this particular model seems like most of the servicing could be done from the side tru removable side panels

Capture+_2023-04-06-08-53-00.png

The adaptor in most cases has to be silicone to the stove exhaust outlet
The next section of pipe is a twist lock with a seal ( depending on make)
It is made to come apart at least mine does (strap type oil filter wrench works well)

The adaptor in most cases has to be silicone to the stove exhaust outlet
The next section of pipe is a twist lock with a seal ( depending on make)
It is made to come apart at least mine does (strap type oil filter wrench works well)
That's what i can't figure out. Isn't the next section immobilized by being siliconed in the thimble.

Why the pipe just slides through the thimble
You can seal it with silicon if you like but it is not necessary

Why the pipe just slides through the thimble
You can seal it with silicon if you like but it is not necessary
Oh ok. Everywhere i looked people are sealing it off with hight temp silicone at the thimble for weatherproofing/ bugs.
Unless the fit tru the thimble is nice and tight that there's absolutely no cold air coming tru the gap .
that would make sense to leave it free twisting and also at the T. (Is the locking system push in and twist either direction? Or has a Righty tighty orientation. In which case loosening at the the adapter would be tightening at the T)

If orientation of locking isn't at play it would be removable at will and could possibly cut down on my clearance to the back wall again since i wouldn't have to have access to it with silicone gun.
I was under impression that it's a must to seal the thimble.

Don't know much about pellet stoves and just asking: "Could not you put it in another space" so that you have plenty of room to work on it --if need be? clancey

Don't know much about pellet stoves and just asking: "Could not you put it in another space" so that you have plenty of room to work on it --if need be? clancey
Well that's where the problem is. Only have this particular spot. Anywhere else I'd be interrupting the flow of the rooms. it's a smaller house and putting it anywhere else I'd have to rearrange furniture and clutter up the living space

Reactions: clancey
What make and model of stove are you planning to install
Even if you want to run a bead of RTV you only need it on the outside
where it is easy to cut off if you need to

Reactions: clancey
What make and model of stove are you planning to install
Even if you want to run a bead of RTV you only need it on the outside
where it is easy to cut off if you need to
are there any contraindications for using the silicone tape instead of rtv silicone on the adapter to stove?
That would make it easy to take it apart and pull the stove away from the horizontal pipe without having have to disrupt the silicone seal at the thimble

Depending on the adaptor type you may be able to use the tape
but my own feelings are to use High temp RTV so you get a positive seal
My adaptor has been in place for 22 years never had to remove it
But I do have some clearance behind the stove. I have never had to work
behind, both sides yes I have worked on but never the back of the stove

Depending on the adaptor type you may be able to use the tape
but my own feelings are to use High temp RTV so you get a positive seal
My adaptor has been in place for 22 years never had to remove it
But I do have some clearance behind the stove. I have never had to work
behind, both sides yes I have worked on but never the back of the stove
Planning on using rtv at the adapter joint but how about using instead rtv at the thimble something like a high temp putty that could be easy to remove and reapplied .
Haven't done the research into the one pictured but surely there has to be a hight temp resistent putty. Anyone ever heard of something like that?

Screenshot_2023-04-11-14-23-28.png

The putty you are showing tends to turn into a rubber compound at temps over 80deg.C

There is a high temp silicon tape that is easy to get on and off
or foil tape that is a little harder to remove

There is a high temp silicon tape that is easy to get on and off
or foil tape that is a little harder to remove
Is the silicone tape seam wrap considered a legit practice or is it just a quick hack and the real deal is rtv

At this point my plan is to silicone the adapter to the stove permanently next seam going through the wall will be just silicone wrap for easy removal if I need to move the stove

the only dilemma is how to seal the gap between the pipe and the thimble on each end ,inside and outside I'm hoping I can maneuver the silicone tape into gap to make it air and bug thight yet still removable. haven't worked with that tape before so I'll have to play with it a bit to get a feel for what it is capable of and what are its limitations during application.