Searching for a new heat pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Remember that with the Mitsubishi there are no duct losses and you have to look at a stupid wall unit. The traditional split is a ducted unit with real filters and uses normal looking vents, duct losses can be significant if they are outside of the envelope.
Also remember that now a day you can get ceiling cassette if you don't want the head unit at the wall and ductless has less losses.

Remember that with the Mitsubishi there are no duct losses and you have to look at a stupid wall unit. The traditional split is a ducted unit with real filters and uses normal looking vents, duct losses can be significant if they are outside of the envelope.
The Mitsubishi system I'm looking at will also have an air handler hooked up to the existing duct work (not using minisplits)Ductwork is all in heated, finished basement.

The Mitsubishi system I'm looking at will also have an air handler hooked up to the existing duct work (not using minisplits)Ductwork is all in heated, finished basement.

Oh cool, a true ducted split system made by one of the leaders of minisplits.

Also remember that now a day you can get ceiling cassette if you don't want the head unit at the wall and ductless has less losses.

The ceiling cassettes are also quite stupid trailer trash looking. Now, of course, this is just my subjective opinion. Sometimes function is more important than form.

I am comparing to a Mitsubishi Hi-Heat ducted system, not a mini-split. Our system is a central ducted system and our installer is a friend now. He installs high-efficiency systems almost exclusively. I was talking with him a few months ago and he gave me the heads up on the new Carrier units. He also mentioned the Bryant evolution series. I am waiting for him to install some of these to get a better opinion of how well they are made and working out in the field.

Reactions: Highbeam
Hey be green! Any updates from your buddy on how the Bryant evolution extreme or carrier infinity green speeds are from a reliability perspective? My biggest concerns is the future cost to replace the control boards which I hear is over $2,400.
I’m in the same boat as you. Debating between Bryant/ carrier vs Mitsubishi system. I have oil boiler backup and also use my Pacific Energy summit insert when burning wood. Still have determined to go with the green speed or 5 stage which is $2k cheaper.

what did you end up doing?

I haven't seen him since last summer, but I hear your concern about parts. $2400 for a control board, however, is highway robbery.

Reactions: sloeffle
Hey, I've been meaning to give an update here and don't have the time to write anything too thorough now... but I concluded my search last November when I went with the Bosch 2.0.

It runs a bit cheaper than the Bryant models (at least it did for me) and it's a less complicated system, which I hope leads to fewer service calls. I believe the compressor is made by Mitsubishi, and the unit is assembled in China.

Very happy with it so far. Haven't had any single digit temps this winter but it keeps the house at 68 when it's in the teens outside. I actually got it installed without elec backup to save a little money.

Reactions: Highbeam
Hey, I've been meaning to give an update here and don't have the time to write anything too thorough now... but I concluded my search last November when I went with the Bosch 2.0.

It runs a bit cheaper than the Bryant models (at least it did for me) and it's a less complicated system, which I hope leads to fewer service calls. I believe the compressor is made by Mitsubishi, and the unit is assembled in China.

Very happy with it so far. Haven't had any single digit temps this winter but it keeps the house at 68 when it's in the teens outside. I actually got it installed without elec backup to save a little money.

The Bosch unit is actually made by Midea and is using a Toshiba compressor.

I get leary when a big name subcontracts other companies to make their product so that they can test the waters. Bosch has done this before and then pulled out of the market a few years later. We have a Bosch vacuum that they no longer support, even though it was a very high end vac at the time. They pulled out of the US vacuum market completely instead.