Sears clamp-on chain filing jig

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
I've found some old school Sears brand sharpening jigs around, and was wondering if anyone had one and has an opinion on them. Looks to be all metal, and a copy of the Granberg file-n-joint.

Lots of folks have cloned/copied the Granberg guide. I've used one of Granberg's for ~35 yrs on all manner of saws. Only use a grinder on a rocked chain, and follow that up with guided filing. Once you figure out the hows and whys with the Granberg guide, there's really nothing better IMO. I've demoed the File-N-Joint to a few folks, whose immediate response is to get their own. 'Nuff said.

Lots of folks have cloned/copied the Granberg guide. I've used one of Granberg's for ~35 yrs on all manner of saws. Only use a grinder on a rocked chain, and follow that up with guided filing. Once you figure out the hows and whys with the Granberg guide, there's really nothing better IMO. I've demoed the File-N-Joint to a few folks, whose immediate response is to get their own. 'Nuff said.
Sold. Wish I'd gotten one 20 years ago.

There is a definite learning curve for stuff that is not in the manual, but it works great once you get the hang of it. It is slow but worth it.
Who told you that? Compared to what? Free-hand filing, or other guide-thingies, are nowhere as consistent, and they will typically require a stump-vise or other means of holding the bar, since typically you need both hands on the file/holder. So, even if they were equivalent in terms of the job they do, IME they're slower. (Hint: forget setting the stop that sets cutter-length. That only helps for setting depth gauges.)
Then, with some means of filing, afficianados will tell about grinding chains after so many filings, "to restore angles", etc. Right.

Who told you that? Compared to what? Free-hand filing, or other guide-thingies, are nowhere as consistent, and they will typically require a stump-vise or other means of holding the bar, since typically you need both hands on the file/holder. So, even if they were equivalent in terms of the job they do, IME they're slower. (Hint: forget setting the stop that sets cutter-length. That only helps for setting depth gauges.)
Then, with some means of filing, afficianados will tell about grinding chains after so many filings, "to restore angles", etc. Right.

Nobody told me that. I know because it's how I sharpen my chains. :p Hand filing a 20" chain in the field takes me a couple minutes; it takes me maybe 20 minutes to do three passes with the Granberg (left teeth, right teeth, depth gauges).

Of course they're not comparable in terms of results; that's why I do both, but I would put the difference in speed at about 10x.

Nobody told me that. I know because it's how I sharpen my chains. :p Hand filing a 20" chain in the field takes me a couple minutes; it takes me maybe 20 minutes to do three passes with the Granberg (left teeth, right teeth, depth gauges).

Of course they're not comparable in terms of results; that's why I do both, but I would put the difference in speed at about 10x.
I'm totally fine with slow. I'm slow regardless of technique, and all other attempts have eventually resulted in chains that barely cut anymore. Up to 6 now, and not one will cut! I'm drawing the line in the sand. It'll be about $40 from eBay or NT with shipping. And once I have it I may even try to rig my Dremel to it so I have a grind n joint proxy. But only after I have all 6 chains cutting again, using files.

I'm totally fine with slow. I'm slow regardless of technique, and all other attempts have eventually resulted in chains that barely cut anymore. Up to 6 now, and not one will cut! I'm drawing the line in the sand. It'll be about $40 from eBay or NT with shipping. And once I have it I may even try to rig my Dremel to it so I have a grind n joint proxy. But only after I have all 6 chains cutting again, using files.

Well, the Granberg file'n'joint certainly makes nice sharp chains once you get it figured out.

If you want a little detail and some ideas for making it work better, here's a great write up on it.

Just placed the order for the Granberg. Just under 40 clams from NT. Back-ordered, expected to be shipped 04/10-04/17. It'll be nice to stop struggling after almost 30 years. Stubbornness is often a good trait, sometimes not...