Sears runnning sale on log splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow if you could do pick-up for free it would be a great deal.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that toe plate. The hollow ones seem to be more prone to bending/failure.

wow says it will take a 39" log. I don't think most go that long. sounds like a good deal for a 35 ton even with shipping.

The cycle time is really slow compaired to a husky.

woodsmaster said:
wow says it will take a 39" log. I don't think most go that long. sounds like a good deal for a 35 ton even with shipping.
I've noticed that a lot of the BBS's sometimes (ok, a lot of times) list wrong specs for things...there's just someone in Bhinga, India punching in numbers but have no idea what they mean...I think it's some kind of immigration test or something.

Ed

The problem is that when the numbers are fudged, it's usually in the direction of more desirable specs. In this case, 21 seconds surely is not desirable.

Would not worry about cycle time.....You put that side by side against the husky I put my money on cycle time means NOTHING!

Cycle times on these machines are without a LOAD....With a Load every cycle will be different!

Amazon sells these, too. One reviewer commented that it works okay, but that it came unassembled (not mentioned online) and that assembly took several people, due to the weight.

DanCorcoran said:
Amazon sells these, too. One reviewer commented that it works okay, but that it came unassembled (not mentioned online) and that assembly took several people, due to the weight.

All splitters come unassembled. You must either build it yourself or pay the fee ($85 at my retailer) for assembly. I worked a deal and got the floor model at a discounted price and the assembly fee was waived. Sometimes you just gotta push a little. Another reason its nice to be face to face when buying something. I have not paid "Full Retail" or "Asking Price" for anything in my life. (ATV's, Car's, Splitter, Saw's, Trailer's, Even electronics at Best Buy can be wiggled a little) Don't hurt to ask, worse they can say No. Most of the time, they work with ya. Even if its a little, its something...... Always worth the shot...

I agree that cycle time is not an issue for most splitters, but anything around 20 seconds or slower is terribly annoying for the way I like to split.

It does not say the brand of engine. Could it be Chinese or some other foreign brand? Looks like a red flag to me.

Not sure of today's policy but in years past you could order from Sears and have it shipped to the store. It seems to me that way there is no shipping charges but you'd have to pick it up at the store within a few days.

MarkinNC said:
Could it be Chinese or some other foreign brand?

There is a slight chance of that -

"Steele Products is a subsidiary of Jiangsu Jianghuai Engine Company of China, popularly called the JD Group, an established, vertically integrated, manufacturer of internal combustion engines, located approximately 200 miles north of Shang-hai China."

LoL

TreePointer said:
I agree that cycle time is not an issue for most splitters, but anything around 20 seconds or slower is terribly annoying for the way I like to split.
I agree if your runing a mid-range saw, but if you have lots of elm and other nasty splits that 35 ton will run the dog crap out of a 22 ton splitter. This is not normal for most people though.

I know I'm not normal. People are always reinforcing that idea with me. :)

But seriously, the rule I use is I want the log splitter to be faster than I can work. I want to be the limiting factor and not have the ram speed limit me.

I went to a nearby Sears hardware today. This model is not on the floor anywhere, sales rep did some checking. So, this is an online item only, and YOU pay the freight.

KC

TreePointer said:

But seriously, the rule I use is I want the log splitter to be faster than I can work. I want to be the limiting factor and not have the ram speed limit me.

I've always told myself that for a cord and a half a year I really can't justify buying a splitter. However, every time I make a big scrounge score (and I have more good oak available to me than I can ever burn in a few lifetimes) a splitter begins to sound better and better to me. A thousand dollar 20-22 ton would probably be just right for me. Everything I do is oak. Water and pin oak mostly. A little hickory now and then. Right now I have about three cords split and stacked and a couple more cords in rounds needing to be split. Two nice size trees are down on my property that I need to buck up soon. And on my friends' ranches they just bulldoze all their down oaks into a dry creek bed and it just sits there waiting for me....

With a splitter I could probably get so far ahead that I could sell a few cords a year and pay for the splitter in a few years.
I would want one that split most everything I throw at it but with a short cycle time.

TreePointer said:

lol I can toss you some rounds that make a 22 top puck....Not the norm woods trees a 22 ton and 27 ton will come in about the same speed. Yard tree's I bet that 35 ton may show up as the fast dog on the day. So if your wanting fast you must have a timber Wolfe? Different models will be best in class according to logs.

Really no different with saws, or splitters Size of the Wood Matters.

iskiatomic said:
I went to a nearby Sears hardware today. This model is not on the floor anywhere, sales rep did some checking. So, this is an online item only, and YOU pay the freight.

KC

Standard shipping is almost $500, but they have a program called "Shipvantage" that you pay for up front, $79 for a year's subscription and you get free standard shipping on all sears.com purchases. Didn't read the fine print so I don't know if heavy items like the splitter are not included, but if they are, this could be a great deal.

woodsmaster said:
The same site, at the bottom of the page, shows my brave 22 ton and if you click on it, the specs say 24 - 43 in logs. NOT TRUE, my brave splits up to 24 in. Somethings smells fishy. :roll:

lol I can toss you some rounds that make a 22 top puck
Maybe some 22 ton splitters, but nothing has ever stopped mine, and I hardly ever get nice straight woods trees. If it won't split it, it will cut it :coolgrin: (in the second stage and slower of course)

tfdchief said:
Maybe some 22 ton splitters, but nothing has ever stopped mine, and I hardly ever get nice straight woods trees. If it won't split it, it will cut it :coolgrin: (in the second stage and slower of course)

The point is 22 not always going to be faster because of a quicker cycle time. It comes down to whats on it ever signal time. 35 ton on paper is the slowest, but could very well be the fastest under the heaver loads. Nothing much different than a saw. Most will be best off with a 22-ton.

smokinjay said:
tfdchief said:

The point is 22 not always going to be faster because of a quicker cycle time. It comes down to whats on it ever signal time. 35 ton on paper is the slowest, but could very well be the fastest under the heaver loads. Nothing much different than a saw. Most will be best off with a 22-ton.
I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.