Seasoning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
I have a couple of Dead Standing Trees that I am thinking about cutting down for burning. Not sure of the species.. My question is, since they are already dead standing do I need to let them season? Some of the trees the bark is pealing off..

I have a couple of Dead Standing Trees that I am thinking about cutting down for burning. Not sure of the species.. My question is, since they are already dead standing do I need to let them season? Some of the trees the bark is pealing off..
Very likely the wood is too wet to burn right away. But it can happen that standing dead wood can be dry enough.
The best way to tell would be to buy a moisture meter for wood. Any lowes/HD/Harbor freight will have them for 20 bucks or less. 20% or less is consider dry. Anything above that is not. If you go that route and get a reading of like 23 or 24 percent, you might be dry enough by this winter if you can stack the wood off the ground and cover only the top. Don’t stack it in a big pile on the ground, that does nothing.
Do you have an open fireplace or woodstove?

Very likely the wood is too wet to burn right away. But it can happen that standing dead wood can be dry enough.
The best way to tell would be to buy a moisture meter for wood. Any lowes/HD/Harbor freight will have them for 20 bucks or less. 20% or less is consider dry. Anything above that is not. If you go that route and get a reading of like 23 or 24 percent, you might be dry enough by this winter if you can stack the wood off the ground and cover only the top. Don’t stack it in a big pile on the ground, that does nothing.
Do you have an open fireplace or woodstove?
We are purchasing an insert. I had some trees come down 4 years ago that was split and stacked. Gave a lot of it to a friend that heated with wood but I have a pretty good stack of that left. I just do not know what my burn rate will be so, this would be candidates to used toward the end of the winter if needed. Also, we are supplementing heat with the insert so I could burn less or stop at all if I do not have a sufficient supply.

Best bet is to get the dead trees cut down and split/stacked now. After you cut them down you’ll know whether the wood is still good (not too rotten).

I have the best luck with trees that I know when they died. Versus a random dead tree in the woods that might have been dead for many years.
Also sometimes part of the tree is punky, and if you keep cutting you’ll find part of it is still good. It really depends on the species.

But yes definitely get a moisture meter.

Take some pics of the trees. Most likely someone on here can ID the species. Especially if there is any bark left on them.

I have seen it both ways. I have seen dead standing locust ready to burn and dead standing trees with 30% moisture content. I have a cheapo ebay moisture meter and a harbor freight one as well.

I wacked a dead standing ash that was 27 percent moisture. Not ready to burn but close.

It should be a shorter time in the stacks, but it varies for me from being a month shorter to only needing a month or two. I can sometimes burn small dead limbs right away.

Appreciate all of the Input.

Some types of trees are a write off. White Birch is one of them, they die standing up and usually rot from the inside. if you see a standing dead birch give it wide berth as they are potential widowmakers. In areas with Spongy Moths (formerly Gypsy moths) oaks also tend to die off at the crown from the moths and can drop some huge branches after few years. Always look up and wear a forestry helmet.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Ive not found a dead tree after being cut that is ready for burning. You can immediately tell after you split a log, based on the smell and weight usually. It's probably going to need 6 - 12months of seasoning.

Ive had dead pines that are literally falling apart bit by bit from the top down. Some of those are ready to burn toward the top, but as you get toward the thicket bottom part of the tree it still has a good bit of moisture in them.

Also, it is best to cut and stack for awhile before trying to burn inside. Im not a big fan of pulling bugs into the house, and usually after splitting and stacking, they tend to want to leave.