Second Floor Stove Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-Mike

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
New England
So I had thought that it wasn't legal to install a solid stove in a bedroom, but the folks at Preston Trading Post told me it wasn't an issue as long as it was installed properly.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thinking about putting a Jotul Castine in a large bedroom upstairs over the garage. The room itself if 525 sq ft, but the rest of the upstairs is about 1200 sq ft total.

I realize I could go with a smaller stove, but this is the smallest I can find that will take a 20" log (I don't want to have to cut wood into two different lengths - Have a Lopi Freedom insert downstairs).

Also, is there a minimum chimney height to ensure proper draft?

Thanks,

Mike

I have also heard mixed comments on bedroom installation. I would check with your insurance agent and/or building inspector.

From the Jotul F400 Castine Installation Manual:

WARNING!
DO NOT INSTALL THIS STOVE IN A BEDROOM⁄SLEEPING ROOM.

Case closed.

DAKSY said:
From the Jotul F400 Castine Installation Manual:

WARNING!
DO NOT INSTALL THIS STOVE IN A BEDROOM⁄SLEEPING ROOM.

Case closed.

Well talking to the dealer again and looking at the Jotul manual more closely, the above statement only applies to mobile home installation. So that question appears to be answered, but I will verify with the building inspector to be sure.

As to the second question, the stove will be installed in a second floor bonus room above the garage. Total chimney height will be approx 14'. Is that enough to ensure a proper draft?

Additionally, the dealer told me today that a stove on the second floor will draw better since it is drawing from a room of already heated air that is looking for a way out of the house. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

We are also thinking about upgrading from the Castine to the Oslo just to ensure sufficient heat capacity.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi CT-Mike
Unfortunately, regardless of the size of the bedroom, you should not install any wood burning appliance in it. This goes, as matter of fact, against all the building codes. There’s a huge discrepancy of opinions on this subject in the hearth industry, but to avoid any problems, the safety standards that rule in the industry won’t allow doing it. You can actually find this remark in all owner’s manual of every manufacturer. Daksy is right, please don’t do this installation.

Thanks for the info Geppetto, I will check with the building inspector for the final call. I am certainly not looking to put my family or home in any danger. Talking to the wife we have decided to finish out this space as a media room anyhow so the bedroom question is moot.

Anyone have any insight into the draft question? The manual states that chimneys shorter than 14' may not draw properly, but to get 14' I would have approx 8' sticking out of the roof. Is that too high? I know that it will need supports if it is higher than 5' I believe.

Thanks,

Mike

Each township might have different codes but most do follow the state codes. You are correct in checking with the inspector.

As for the upstairs install, the biggest problem would probably be chimney height as you need 13' up and add more for each elbow. That could make the chimney pretty high although sometimes you can get away with a little less height....like I did.

There won't be any elbows, just a straight up shot.

Draft is a very, VERY complicated subject since there are too many things that can play a factor into how good or bad your draft can be. Overall, the manufacturer recommendations of at least 14’ are because experience has shown that less than usually creates draft issues (smoke in your house for example). Some areas (like the one for Backwoods Savage) are better than other and will allow you go lower without affecting the draft. Still, I will follow up your manufacturer owner’s manual advice to the letter, since they know what works and what don’t better nobody else. Regards,

WARNING!
DO NOT INSTALL THIS STOVE IN A BEDROOM⁄SLEEPING ROOM. DO NOT
INSTALL THE STOVE IN ANY WAY THAT MIGHT COMPROMISE THE STRUCTURAL
INTEGRITY OF THE MOBILE HOME FLOOR, WALLS, CEILING, OR ROOF

The first sentence has nothing to do with the second sentence. The reason for the code is because somebody can close a bedroom door and the burning stove suck all of the oxygen out of the room and kill ya. The only stoves approved for sleeping areas are gas stoves that use a direct vent system which brings its combustion air from the outside.

Show that manual page to to the inspector.

BB,

The sentence that you quoted is in the section of the manual concerning mobile home installations. Either way, the space will be a media room and not a bedroom so it is a moot point.

How tall will the flue be on the Castine? It should do pretty well with straight up venting into a 16ft or taller flue. If you are on the shy side, use double-wall connector.

CT-Mike said:
BB,

The sentence that you quoted is in the section of the manual concerning mobile home installations. Either way, the space will be a media room and not a bedroom so it is a moot point.

Your 1st post in this thread=

(So I had thought that it wasn’t legal to install a solid stove in a bedroom, but the folks at Preston Trading Post told me it wasn’t an issue as long as it was installed properly.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thinking about putting a Jotul Castine in a large bedroom upstairs over the garage. The room itself if 525 sq ft, but the rest of the upstairs is about 1200 sq ft total. )

Looks like everyone read your 1st post correctly. So they answered that way. If its not going to be a bedroom. Then dont CALL IT A BEDROOM. Mobile home or not... ANY BEDROOM would be ignorant to install it there. Re-read the manual.
Dont ask a question for help then argue it.

Status
Not open for further replies.