secondary burn retrofit.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyvol

Feb 12, 2008
North of Boston
Is retrofitting a pre EPA stove sort of like spending good $$
on an old/bad wood stove. Does the final product justify the work
involved to do it. Like installing burn tubes or cat. converter. and hoping
the end result will be safe satisfactory.
-gary

When you say pre-EPA, Im assuming you mean before Cat and air tube systems. If thats the case, you cant just take a stove and install a catalyst or airtubes into the stove. Is that what your asking? If not, help me to understand.

Gary - I'm no expert on wood stoves, but I am a Mechanical Engineer. I think, upon further investigation, you'll find that the differences between an "old technology" (pre-EPA) stove and a newer, compliant stove go way beyond just slapping in a catalytic converter or some secondary burn tubes into the existing combustion air flow through the stove. The whole airflow was re-engineered/designed to accomodate either of the newer technologies. Different ducting, different damping/controls. To do such a thing successfully, it seems to me you'd have to completely dismantle the stove and rebuild it in a new configuration (not to mention that you'd probably need a design team and a fabrication team and a suitable factory and testing facilities). Sort of like taking an old Ford Flathead V-8 and trying to modify it into a Hemi. Not likely to be successful for less than the cost of a new Hemi. I have a nice shop and a lot of tools and experience in metalwork...but I know such a project would be way beyond my capabilities...even with a lot of help from my friends. Scrap the old stove and spring for a new one. Rick

Thanks for the link Jimbob,
Yep, sounds like he accomplished a longer burn time and less wood consumption.
I am however surprised that he did not notice less smoke coming out of the chimney.
Seems like a working secondary burn would take care of that.
And I think their is no need for the the fire insurance agent to stop by.
-gary

It seems like you would have a type of limited success by retrofitting secondary burn tubes (not savvy with cat applications). So how much work or money are you willing to invest for some improvement? Would that money be better spent toward a new stove that is tweaked, tested, and rated by the manufacturer? If you are handy and enjoy the project give it a try. What is the worst reasonable thing that could happen? In my mind it would be burning less efficently (more smoke) than before. In that case take it apart and go back to stock. What is your goal/purpose? If we know that there might be other things that we could suggest to help you reach that goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.