Secondary Burn Vid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
For those wondering what a secondary burn is watch this video. At about 20 seconds I'll close the draft up some and you'll see the "northern lights" go to work.

If this were a traditional stove (like my old fisher) having the drafts turned down, these wood gasses would have been sent up the chimney.

PLEASE turn the volume down! I'm a video newbie and apparently breath loudly ;-P

i love watching secondary burns ,looks like natural gas...very calming to me , it never gets old

Wait till it goes thermo-nuclear.

Attachments

• nc-30kickin.JPG
    nc-30kickin.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 681
I take it you haven't put it in the garage and dragged the Fisher back in yet? :cheese:

BrotherBart said:
I take it you haven't put it in the garage and dragged the Fisher back in yet? :cheese:

I'm sold! But with a few windows still open in the house tonight the Mrs. came down stairs and informed me she wasn't too pleased with the new stove because of a smoke smell upstairs.

I sure as hell hope the smell is from the open windows. My lady friend is one easy going woman 99% of the time. Smelling like smoke is one of the very few complaints she's ever had. I just hope it's a result of the early burn as when the stove door is opened, no visible or smellable smoke enters the room.

pen

pen said:
BrotherBart said:

I'm sold! But with a few windows still open in the house tonight the Mrs. came down stairs and informed me she wasn't too pleased with the new stove because of a smoke smell upstairs.

I sure as hell hope the smell is from the open windows. My lady friend is one easy going woman 99% of the time. Smelling like smoke is one of the very few complaints she's ever had. I just hope it's a result of the early burn as when the stove door is opened, no visible or smellable smoke enters the room.

pen

Start it with the top down method and you don't open the door after the first match until the load is down to coals. The manual says to leave the door cracked until a good burn is established but they have been saying that for twenty years. With the top down method in a 30 the paper on top heats the flue right up and then you are off and running.

You load it. Light it. Close the door and you are done with it until the next reload. No door open. No smoke in the room. No lady pissed off. No sleeping on the couch.

pen said:
BrotherBart said:

pen

Probably still some paint curing. Tell her to go on a day long shopping trip and fire that baby up to season that stove.

BrotherBart said:
pen said:
BrotherBart said:

pen

Start it with the top down method and you don't open the door after the first match until the load is down to coals. The manual says to leave the door cracked until a good burn is established but they have been saying that for twenty years. With the top down method in a 30 the paper on top heats the flue right up and then you are off and running.

You load it. Light it. Close the door and you are done with it until the next reload. No door open. No smoke in the room. No lady pissed off. No sleeping on the couch.

Must be the open windows then. Tonight was my first "Top Down" burn and i've got 1 word to say: Damn!. I tried it to no avail in the old stove. Just seems like these new ones are meant for it. Things started off great and the stove burned much better using that method than my traditional in my earlier fire.

BTW, it's gotta be the windows making the smell. Basement has ZERO smoke smell. It's only upstairs. And since the stove is in the basement...... You get the point.

pen

Todd said:
pen said:
BrotherBart said:

pen

Probably still some paint curing. Tell her to go on a day long shopping trip and fire that baby up to season that stove.

That smell was earlier. This was definitely wood burning smell. I think it's from a few open windows and it not being that cold yet.

pen

Nice video. I'll bet the stove co's never thought about secondary burn as an entertainment medium. :)

BrotherBart said:
pen said:
BrotherBart said:

pen

BrotherBart, I only have 1 1/2 seasons of 24/7 burning experience. I've been starting with kindling/smalls on the bottom, and working up to bigger splits towards the top. Been working well so far. But I'd like to try your method. I've heard of the top down method but never really seen/read an explanation on how to load the stove for it. Would you please explain preparing/loading for the top down method? I have a T6 Alderlea if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!

I am amazed that I fired the stove at 7pm with only about a heavy 1/2 load, ran it wide open mostly, turned the draft down to 1/2 before bed, and this morning at 5:25 I still had coals that would have taken off a large split no problem.

If it keeps doing this, i'll be able to keep the fire going while I'm at work and keep the chimney clean! Fingers crossed.

Going to try another test burn tonight (those northern lights are addicting) and this time close the windows. Sure hope we don't smell smoke again.

pen

BrotherBart, I only have 1 1/2 seasons of 24/7 burning experience. I’ve been starting with kindling/smalls on the bottom, and working up to bigger splits towards the top. Been working well so far. But I’d like to try your method. I’ve heard of the top down method but never really seen/read an explanation on how to load the stove for it. Would you please explain preparing/loading for the top down method? I have a T6 Alderlea if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!

Remember Vannesa showed Tom how to load the 16 sheets of twisted newspaper. Look Tom, no smoke!
Now start twisting some more newspaper before Vanessa comes to your house and makes you watch the video, again.

What, you haven’t seen the video? Were you out that day?
Here you go…
http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/videos/Woodstove_mgt-Eng.wmv

Note: I still have this same nightmare over and over of her kicking my butt ever since I watched that Canadian propoganda video with my wife in the background saying;"See I told you.”

Pen,

I'd be willing to bet that your smoke smell is simply due to the open windows. There were several occasions last winter when the wind was just right that I could smell "smoke" from our Endeavor when I walked outside to the wood shed, even though the exhaust from the Class A was invisible. No matter how much cleaner these new stoves burn, I think it's simply impossible to get rid of EVERY trace of wood smoke and its distinct smell. I think wood type can make a difference as well.

Congrats on the Englander, by the way! Great secondary burn video.

Great video . . . I love watching secondaries firing off.

Great video - my new stove will be installed Sept 18th.

This will be my first stove and like I said it is brand new. The question is breaking it in. Should I get it really hot right away or build gradually hotter and longer burns to break it in?

Not sure how to properly cure it

treehackers said:

This will be my first stove and like I said it is brand new. The question is breaking it in. Should I get it really hot right away or build gradually hotter and longer burns to break it in?

Short answer . . . follow the manufacturer's recommendations for break-in fires . . . if there is one.

Longer answer . . . if there are no manufacturer recommendations I think I would still err on the side of caution and do a series of break-in fires . . . start small, low heat fire for the first fire (200 degrees perhaps), a little bit bigger fire for a second fire and and then a larger fire for the final fire.

firefighterjake said:
treehackers said:

Short answer . . . follow the manufacturer's recommendations for break-in fires . . . if there is one.

Longer answer . . . if there are no manufacturer recommendations I think I would still err on the side of caution and do a series of break-in fires . . . start small, low heat fire for the first fire (200 degrees perhaps), a little bit bigger fire for a second fire and and then a larger fire for the final fire.

Great - Thanks.

firefighterjake said:

... and don't let that final fire die out all season. :)

Slow1 said:
firefighterjake said:

... and don't let that final fire die out all season. :)

I wish! - Being gone 10hrs a day for work and with a Firebox size of 1.8 cu. ft., isn't going to happen. (ENGLAND'S STOVE WORKS 50-SNC13I)

It will run all weekend though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.