Secondary Flame Paths

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
With stove temp good, ~500 stove top, and secondary burn looking good, about half of the log flames from the rear log tend to go up to, then over, the most rear secondary burn tube, between the rear burn tube and baffle. The baffle is pushed all the way back, I checked numerous times.

The flames going above the last tube, between it and the baffle, could this be in appearance only? In other words, could the tube be drawing the flames up to the tube, then flames hit the baffle, and nothing more. It looks as if some of the flames go between baffle and tube, then into the flu.

I can tell for certain that along the sides of the baffle some flames go between the stove and baffle side, not forward towards the door. Their is a very small, 1/16" gap, on each side of baffle. I know some fill the baffle gaps but that is not possible with this stove.

Century FW3000 Stove.

Does any of this sound normal?

Reactions: Potatoe
Try attaching a video if possible.

Checked baffle again and it is sitting flat in the rear support like it should. I thought maybe an air tube bowed not allowing the baffle to sit flat. I think its performing as it should.

For the baffle side gaps, when the baffle is pushed over to one side their is a 1/4" gap between baffle and side of stove. I have some ceramic fiber insulation that can be gently pushed into that gap. Good or bad idea?