Secondhand chimney pipe -- is this Class A?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KWillets

Nov 28, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I just got a deal on two 6x30" sections of Selkirk pipe, but I'm having trouble confirming the model number. The box says it's "6S-30", and bears the name "Selkirk Metalbestos Model SS", but I've searched the whole interweb and haven't found a match. I assume it's an old product, since I see current mentions of Model SS-II, and product numbers like 6T-xx, but nothing with the "S". It certainly appears to be insulated SS pipe.

Does anybody remember this model? Selkirk's site is strange; I can't even find the current model SS-II on there.

Uhh... what are you going to do with only 5' of venting and no cap or support box? You can't mix and match pipe so unless you track down all the parts of the same style that you need you just blew your cash on junk.

Also, it should have a UL listing label. HT Pipe will be UL Listed to 103HT

Yes, I may have been a bit hasty. It bears a label that says "UL A218", but that's another unfindable mark. It looked very similar to the current model, so I didn't think too much about it.

Well whatever that UL listing is for its not 103HT so you can't use it for a wood stove.

Time for a trip to the scrap yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.