See through renovation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattphillips18

Nov 22, 2013
Portland, OR
Hello all, first time poster.
I'm in Portland, Oregon, with a 1973 ranch house that has a brick see through wood fireplace. Nothing about it speaks of heat. We remodeled our house with beautiful white walls and ceilings; not conducive to smoke. I'm looking at this fireplace, that we like the aesthetics of the see through, and wondering how to get a little something from it? I know there is no such thing as a see through insert, gas or wood. (grew up with woodstove heated house, miss it dearly) Wife and I aren't interested in blocking off one side and putting in a one sided insert.
So I'm thinking our current options are
1) give up and never use the thing.
2) gas logs.

I'm wondering if I could get even a little heat to spike the room temp by using:
gas logs (vent free or direct vented? Would rather direct vent)
glass doors on both sides
a fireplace heater similar to this http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Firep...ce-Heaters-Blowers/Emberaire-Fireplace-Heater
possibly a combustible air pipe from the crawl space.

What do you think? Did I solve the see through problem? Probably not, but give me your thoughts, thanks.
Matt

I'd say if you were going to go with wood - and, if you wanted to install fireplace doors on both sides, you could use two (or one) of those fireplace heat exchangers....this company makes both the doors and the grates:
http://www.stollfireplace.com/heating/GrateHeater

If you were going to go with gas I would caution against unvented....and, at the same time, vented hardly heat at all. So if you were going to go with vented logs, just be content for a tiny big of heat and some ambiance once in a while.

Some gas logs are a bit better than others at radiant heat. Examples which may fit the bill
http://www.monessenhearth.com/family/Gas-Log-Sets/Vented/Duzy-3/

You could use a large vent-free gas log (doesn't look as nice as vented) and open the damper a small amount...you'll still get some nice heat.

The vent free log set with a bit of an open damper was also an option I forgot to mention. I like it. As for the direct vent gas log, even with the blower type unit, you don't think much heat will come out? The fireplace sits in the middle of a great room about 40'x27', but the ceilings are only about 7'6" tall. Even a little heat, I'm imagining, would be noticeable.
I've not messed with gas logs before. Visually, there is a great difference between direct vented and non-vented? Does non-vented look pretty corny? Guess I need to get myself to a showroom.

The vent free log set with a bit of an open damper was also an option I forgot to mention. I like it. As for the direct vent gas log, even with the blower type unit, you don't think much heat will come out? The fireplace sits in the middle of a great room about 40'x27', but the ceilings are only about 7'6" tall. Even a little heat, I'm imagining, would be noticeable.
I've not messed with gas logs before. Visually, there is a great difference between direct vented and non-vented? Does non-vented look pretty corny? Guess I need to get myself to a showroom.

You don't mention the distance between the fireplace faces. If there's enough room, TWO gas fireplace inserts can make a world of difference, & you'll get to keep both sides. I installed two in a see thru woodburner, locally about 6 years ago & the homeowners are really happy with the way they heat. Both on remotes. Same model in each room, but with different fronts & surrounds. Two co-linear liners but one DV cap exhausts both units...Of course, you'll hafta double the price, but the energy payback should be quick...

Status
Not open for further replies.