Seeking install advice: oval liner vs. uninsulated?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think I've been engaging the cat and turning down the thermostat too soon after loading

I can make mine produce that smell the same exact way. How long are you letting it rip after engaging the cat?

Turning it down to soon after cat engagement and importantly also in my setup... To far. Creates that unpleasant effect. Normally a non issue but I goof it up occasionally. Guessing some setups/installs are simply more sensitive than others.

I can make mine produce that smell the same exact way. How long are you letting it rip after engaging the cat?

I always make sure it's well within the "active" zone before engaging the cat, but I usually turn the thermostat down from 70% to 40% pretty shortly after engaging... which is probably what I'm doing wrong.

How long do you let it roar (after engaging cat) before dialing it down? I guess I'm just worried about wasting wood.

I always make sure it's well within the "active" zone before engaging the cat, but I usually turn the thermostat down from 70% to 40% pretty shortly after engaging... which is probably what I'm doing wrong.

How long do you let it roar (after engaging cat) before dialing it down? I guess I'm just worried about wasting wood.

I believe the manual recommends 30 minutes. While I cant say i adhere to that number precisely every load, I do try to let it go as long as I can stand it! I can tell by looking and watching my stove top temp gauge and Cat probe meter normally. Maybe try the recommended time first and go from there. What works for me may have zero relation to your stoves needs.

Reactions: Kilos
I believe the manual recommends 30 minutes. While I cant say i adhere to that number precisely every load, I do try to let it go as long as I can stand it! I can tell by looking and watching my stove top temp gauge and Cat probe meter normally. Maybe try the recommended time first and go from there. What works for me may have zero relation to your stoves needs.

That's super helpful, thanks! I'll give it a go tonight. Guess I need to go back and re-read my manual.

Reactions: moresnow
I am on my 2nd year with the PI29 insert on an exterior 33' brick chimney. Insulated 6" liner. I have never had any smell or odor from my unit but my draft is exceptionally high..... measured at .20wc on my Magnehelic

What I do on reload is let the wood burn till the cat is active. Then I give it anywhere from 5-10 min or so on high, making sure there is a box full of flames and that all the wood is engulfed. Then engage cat. Sometimes I will immediately turn down Tstat to 40%, other times to 70%, then wait 5 min and then down to 30% or my regular cruising spot. I then adjust fan to desired speed (faster at night, slower during the day due to solar gain). Walk away and wont touch it for 12 hours.

I am on my 2nd year with the PI29 insert on an exterior 33' brick chimney. Insulated 6" liner. I have never had any smell or odor from my unit but my draft is exceptionally high..... measured at .20wc on my Magnehelic

What I do on reload is let the wood burn till the cat is active. Then I give it anywhere from 5-10 min or so on high, making sure there is a box full of flames and that all the wood is engulfed. Then engage cat. Sometimes I will immediately turn down Tstat to 40%, other times to 70%, then wait 5 min and then down to 30% or my regular cruising spot. I then adjust fan to desired speed (faster at night, slower during the day due to solar gain). Walk away and wont touch it for 12 hours.

Hi spudman99, thanks for sharing that. I'm in my first year with a Sirocco 25 insert running on a similar chimney (33', exterior wall masonry, 6" insulated liner). It's reassuring to hear you've been able to get long burn times with that huge draft. I haven't been able to measure my draft yet, but I strongly suspect my numbers are similar, and that it's contributing to my shorter burn times.

Did you have to make any modifications to lower the draft, or do anything else to extend burn times? Or were you able to get this kind of rate pretty much right away, despite the overdraft?

I am getting them now, and have been for last season and this. Will probably go thru 2.5 cords in total.

I plan on re-doing the fireplace front, adding stacked stone over the old brick. This will require removal of the insert. I then plan on installing a key damper in the liner, using the old damper knob as the means of opening and closing the new part. While this is not recommended by BK (they cannot offer any advise other than by how the unit was tested and certified), it is not against the rules. So I wont have any measurable results till next burning season.

One issue that is universal in all burn times is the quality and moisture of the wood. Last year I had mostly 20-22% sugar (hard) maple. Now burning green ash and getting 10-12 hour burns. Later part of the burn sees the cat needle barely accurate and STT around 300 deg. Havnt tried the now fully dry hard maple yet.

Makes sense. As is the common refrain on here, "I'm sure my wood could be drier". My moisture meter reads 16% - 22% but it's a cheap Amazon one and I'm not sure I trust it. I plan on testing with bio bricks or the like as soon as I can find some.

Good luck with the key damper. I've been considering that as well. I'll be very interested to hear how that turns out.