Self igniter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Excell

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2009
Winnipeg
I have only had my stove start by its self once .I usually just through a hand full of pellets in and squirt some fire gel on and hit it with the butane torch . To night
I just turned it on and waited ,and waited twenty minutes later I threw in a hand full of pellets some gel and lit it . I don't know if there is some thing wrong with it or
I am doing it wrong . The time that it did start on its own I had already threw in the pellets ,and then decided to see if it would light and it did .
So I guess what I am asking is how does it work ?

First of all, are you saying that when you press the "on" button, pellets never drop into the burnpot on their own?

EDIT:

Do you get the "S U " in the control board, or an error code?

I think it was a U no error code .O there were lots of pellets in there when I came back . I just dumped on some gel and lit it ,that was after about 20 min .

On start-up, there should be a "S U" in the control panel display. Pellets should start dropping immediately, and eventually the ignitor comes on to light them. The entire start-up process on that stove is supposed to be 20 minutes.

I think I remember in your stove, that Englander says that the wearplate, and the area under the wearplate must be cleaned-out before starting each time. Maybe ash is keeping the ignitor from heating the pellets? Do you see the ignitor getting hot?

I'm assuming you have the owners manual, right?

I think it gets hot ,as it did light once . I have the manual that I down loaded .I will try it again in a couple of days .I am going out of town for a couple of days .
I think the thing works ,but I am just to impatient .

hossthehermit said:
ducker said:
what type of stove is it?

I'd guess it's a Timber Ridge 55 - TRP 10. They're known for this.

Yes you are right . So is it broken or just doesn't work very well . I don't much care as it is easy to light with the gel.

Status
Not open for further replies.