Selkirk DSP screw opinion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

claytonboyle

Nov 20, 2021
Ontario
Hey

I am in the process of installing Selkirk dsp pipe to my Selkirk chimney

I have a friend helping me, it appears he drilled through the outer and inner walls on the universal chimney adapter that exits from the 90 to the smoke pipe

I understand the screws are only supposed to pierce the outer wall, should I go out and buy a new adapter or can I get away with long screws to basically plug the hole in the inner wall ?

Thanks!!

When the inner part he drilled through is in its installed position, it is overlapped by another piece of stainless from another pipe section, isn't it? If so, I would say it is a non issue.

Have you got some pictures of the part and how it fits to its mating parts? The terminology used for various adapters can be confusing.

It's not by the book but it'll be ok.

When the inner part he drilled through is in its installed position, it is overlapped by another piece of stainless from another pipe section, isn't it? If so, I would say it is a non issue.

Have you got some pictures of the part and how it fits to its mating parts? The terminology used for various adapters can be confusing.
yes it is overlapped the screw is piercing all pieces effectively plugging any holes

I can take a picture tonight

With DSP, you have a couple of options when it comes to connecting to the chimney. You can use the stove pipe adapter and connect that directly to the stove pipe, or you can use the universal chimney adapter connected between the stove pipe and the stove pipe adapter. If you are using just the stove pipe adapter (like I did), you end up drilling all the way through so you can use the 1/2" screws they tell you to use. Then you install the finishing band. The finishing band makes the install look less goofy, so you don't see the crimps... but I think it also acts as your second wall of your double wall pipe system.

That is why I asked for pictures of your parts. If you are using just the stove pipe adapter, you will be drilling all the way through if you follow the install instructions.
Screenshot_20211122-105636_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20211122-105650_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
With DSP, you have a couple of options when it comes to connecting to the chimney. You can use the stove pipe adapter and connect that directly to the stove pipe, or you can use the universal chimney adapter connected between the stove pipe and the stove pipe adapter. If you are using just the stove pipe adapter (like I did), you end up drilling all the way through so you can use the 1/2" screws they tell you to use. Then you install the finishing band. The finishing band makes the install look less goofy, so you don't see the crimps... but I think it also acts as your second wall of your double wall pipe system.

That is why I asked for pictures of your parts. If you are using just the stove pipe adapter, you will be drilling all the way through if you follow the install instructions.
View attachment 286045
View attachment 286046
I used the universal chimney adapter as it gave me the 6" or so i needed to maintain my clearances from the wall.

View attachment 286045
View attachment 286046
This is the screw that pierced all the way through the inner wall

4C57C6A3-CC60-4012-9847-E5C14ABB6E7F.jpeg