Selling my Stihl MS250, want an MS261 - good idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys, you all have been so helpful here over the years and I'm hoping I can get some of your advice now.

I inherited my dad's 17 year old Stihl MS250C a few years back when I finally bought a house on property. Loved the thing for what it was but I've been fighting a constant issue with it stalling out. Had it at multiple Stihl dealers, have worked on it myself since you all have given me advice on previous posts, and thrown hundreds of dollars into it with no results... I'm kind of just done with it and want to sell it on Craigslist to someone who might have the time and energy to constantly tinker with it. The MS250 is too finicky!!

Other than that though, it really was a near perfect saw for me. I like how "simple" it is - easy to service, no fancy features, old school design. With an 18" bar and me converting it back to the old school 2 bar stud tensioner, it worked well for me. Sometimes I wish I had a 20" bar for larger logs, but I also don't want a saw that weighs really anymore than what the MS250 weighs since I'm hauling it by hand around the property a lot.

I had read around a bit online thinking that, whenever the day came to upgrade, I'd get an MS261. I wanted to see if you guys thought that was the right choice? I figured a Pro saw would last longer as I want something that can last AT LEAST another 17 years like the 250! Looks like my dealer offers it in a 20" bar! So I think I'd go that route unless you guys think that isn't a good idea? If not I'd do 18" but don't want a saw that needs 16"... too short.

What do you guys think? MS261 with 18" bar to replace an MS250C with an 18" bar?

And if it's a good replacement choice, do you guys know if any parts are compatible? I've got multiple bars and chains and a 2in1 sharpener already for the MS250. My current chain is a 26RM368 - would that swap over fine to the 261?

Lastly my concern is serviceability. Despite the one issue I've been battling on this 250, I knew the saw in and out. Like the easy carb adjustment screws on the side and ability to change my own spark plug, filter, sprockets, clutch, etc... is the 261 as serviceable? I don't think the carb adjustments are on the outside of the saw - is that an issue for a guy like me?

Thanks guys. I have a downed tree right now in the driveway and want to upgrade ASAP so I appreciate the replies.

So in summary:
1. What do you recommend as a replacement to a MS250? Is a MS261 a good replacement?
2. Are chains, bars, etc compatible between the MS250C and MS261?
3. Is the 261 easily serviceable by a homeowner, or as easy to maintenance as a 250?
Thanks

1) way more than good enough.
2) yes
3) maintenance other than carburetor is easier. New 261's are moronic...errr.. mtronic.

don't overlook a husky550 mkII... still moronic tho.

you will like a lot of saws more than the ms250. Tho the 250 is surprisingly quite decent in spite of all of its badness overall.

a pro husky or stihl 50cc will blow your mind, if you've never run one. The antivibe alone will blow your mind, never mind the nature of the power. The ms250 is a pretty decent handling saw, so the handling won't be a huge improvement.

if you don't want electronic carb control in a new "pro" saw, but want a pro-construction saw, then you are stuck with an echo cs501 or cs490. Neither will have the performance of the stihl or husky, but are a far better saw than the ms250.

or you look for a good used pro husky or stihl. Be careful of its vintage as both brands have had a pitiful record with certain models/runs from time to time over the past 15 years, imo.

Thanks guys for the input!

I just placed my order.

@Newbie78, I wanted to let you know. There is the MS261CM with the silly Mtronic electronic carb control. But they also sell the older style MS261 brand new still, with an old school carb. No mtronic BS. That's what I bought!

😎😎😎

now you may find that you need to figure out how to make the carb fully manually adjustable as even the adjustable carbs are restricted -usually with some sort of goofy "stop" thing installed on the carb screws. Heaven forbid we actually give these things some fuel...

sweet saw. You will be impressed.

Reactions: duramaxman05
I have one and I'm very happy with it, you won't be disappointed

I considered an MS250, but bought a MS261cm seven years ago. GREAT saw! Light and powerful. Most of the time I’m running a 20” bar. Cuts with ease through large downed trees. I use at varying elevations, zero issues with the electronic carburetor for me. A logger recommended getting the electronic carb to me from his professional experience with one every. I have no comparison to a MS250, but zero regrets in purchasing the MS261cm.

I can't speak for the 250. I would compare the spec. of both saws. I just did this when I bought a backup saw, Stihl 170. The 260 has nice HP for it's weight.

My 260 pro is 23 years old. It has cut all the wood to keep the stove fed for all that time. Never done anything to it I treat it well, only razor sharp chains. Flip the bar every few chain changes. I don't know what the pro version has, but the decompression is real nice.

I am running a MS400 with the mtronic. I absolutely love it! I cut a lot of standing dead where you get allot of wood dust. When I cut with my older saw, by the end of the day it starts running rich due to the filter plugging and I have to stop and clean the air filter. With the 400, it runs strong through the day due to it monitoring the mixture. I clean the saw up at the end of the day.
I look at it the same way I look at the vehicles we drive. I would not want to go back to the old carb with a heat riser controlling the choke. I remember using a ballpoint pen to hold the choke open because the exhaust manifold wasn't hot enough to hold the choke open while it was warming up in cold weather. I even converted my 72 Bronco to manual choke to allow me to control it.
When someone tells me they don't build them like they used to, I say your right. They last longer, run smoother and and are more efficient.
While I am pretty much old school, technology does have it's place.

I am running a MS400 with the mtronic. I absolutely love it! I cut a lot of standing dead where you get allot of wood dust. When I cut with my older saw, by the end of the day it starts running rich due to the filter plugging and I have to stop and clean the air filter. With the 400, it runs strong through the day due to it monitoring the mixture. I clean the saw up at the end of the day.
I look at it the same way I look at the vehicles we drive. I would not want to go back to the old carb with a heat riser controlling the choke. I remember using a ballpoint pen to hold the choke open because the exhaust manifold wasn't hot enough to hold the choke open while it was warming up in cold weather. I even converted my 72 Bronco to manual choke to allow me to control it.
When someone tells me they don't build them like they used to, I say your right. They last longer, run smoother and and are more efficient.
While I am pretty much old school, technology does have it's place.
What bar are you running on the 400? I'm looking at a 400cm or 462cm. Stihl's site only recommends up to 25" on the 400 but I'd like to pull a little longer than that to lessen the bending over. Just can't stop looking at these handsome devils.

I myself would get the regular carb model. I have a 550xp and its finicky. Great running saw except that it has its spells. It also does not like running right in missouri's heat and humidity in the summer. My father in law has had the same problems with the husqvarna and johnsered. He tried a stihl ms462 which a great runner but suffered the same thing in the heat and humidity. Then it got ran over by the skidder. Ouch.

What bar are you running on the 400? I'm looking at a 400cm or 462cm. Stihl's site only recommends up to 25" on the 400 but I'd like to pull a little longer than that to lessen the bending over. Just can't stop looking at these handsome devils.
I have a 20" on it now. Will probably get a 25" and chain setup. I have a bark box on it and the way it pulls I think it would pull a 28 or even 30.
The issue you would probably have, is pumping enough oil for the bar and chain. It's Been stated that you can replace the oiler with a 461 and pump enough oil.
This thing is impressive with the bark box. I have seen dyno figures of over 6 hp.

Reactions: spuldup
I love my 261, several years old, mtronic I think. Great power/weight, and still eats with 20" bar. The old 028 I found in the road several months back is a good arm workout, though. 😆 Brand new (cheap) bar and chain on it--TriLink, not sure how good it might be..
I also have an old 170 that I felt obliged to confiscate from SIL2, before she cut off any body parts she might need later. 😏 I use that saw a lot since I often go after small, dead trees to keep the SILs ahead on dry wood.

I've got a 261 and a 550XP. Both great saws. I prefer the XP for its better handling and it feels a bit smoother to me.