Separating ash & coal in shallow firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TwoCoasts

Nov 17, 2021
Mid Hudson Valley, NY
How do you separate hot coals from fine ash in a shallow firebox? I see a few methods mentioned in these forums, and have tried all but can’t get any of them to work well. Some people with deeper fireboxes use a small rake to push ash & coals backward & forward to separate them then shovel the ash out. Not enough depth for that in my stove. Some use metal kitty litter scoops. Tried that but it pulls too much ash up with the coals and the shaking required to separate them sends a lot of ash airborne. And others shovel the pile to one side then push the coals to the other with the poker. This just seems slow and not very effective. I feel like what I need is a rake type implement with a small head parallel to the handle instead of the usual configuration (perpendicular to the handle), to push the coals from side to side in the firebox. I also feel like this must be a common enough issue that I’m missing something incredibly obvious. Any advice about what I’m missing, or where to find such an implement?

How do you separate hot coals from fine ash in a shallow firebox? I see a few methods mentioned in these forums, and have tried all but can’t get any of them to work well. Some people with deeper fireboxes use a small rake to push ash & coals backward & forward to separate them then shovel the ash out. Not enough depth for that in my stove. Some use metal kitty litter scoops. Tried that but it pulls too much ash up with the coals and the shaking required to separate them sends a lot of ash airborne. And others shovel the pile to one side then push the coals to the other with the poker. This just seems slow and not very effective. I feel like what I need is a rake type implement with a small head parallel to the handle instead of the usual configuration (perpendicular to the handle), to push the coals from side to side in the firebox. I also feel like this must be a common enough issue that I’m missing something incredibly obvious. Any advice about what I’m missing, or where to find such an implement?
How often are you scooping ash?

How often are you scooping ash?
About once every 12 hours of burning. This is not our primary heat source, although it does produce enough to be a valuable secondary source, so it typically gets fired up around sunset and burns down to scattered coals by morning, when I scoop.

About once every 12 hours of burning. This is not our primary heat source, although it does produce enough to be a valuable secondary source, so it typically gets fired up around sunset and burns down to scattered coals by morning, when I scoop.
Wait a week or more. The ash will compact down and get mor granular and less fluffy and easier to scoop. Don’t fuss over it. If it starts to spill out just push it back. Some find their stoves burn much better with a good inch of ash insulating the bottom.

I just let the fire go out and burn down most of the coals but warm enough I still have a draft, when I need to completely clean it out. I think sifting just stirs up to mush ash dust.

Reactions: VintageGal
Wait a week or more. The ash will compact down and get mor granular and less fluffy and easier to scoop. Don’t fuss over it. If it starts to spill out just push it back. Some find their stoves burn much better with a good inch of ash insulating the bottom.

I just let the fire go out and burn down most of the coals but warm enough I still have a draft, when I need to completely clean it out. I think sifting just stirs up to mush ash dust.
Well, any advice that amounts to “work less” is advice I can get behind. 😂 So I’ll try this out. Thanks!

Reactions: Nate R and EbS-P
I have a metal poker with a curve at the end. I basically rake them, but I do it to make them burn out, sometimes to burn the spent ashes that are a little solid. To get them out I use a shovel. It came with the tool set I bought. But to be safe, I put them into a Dutch Oven, and sit it on cement, lid 90% on. I think a little bit of a crack makes them burn out faster, but Ive never tried to actually find out which is better. To me, it depends on the wind.

Novice burner here with just three weeks of burning under my belt. So take what I do with a grain of salt…

I scoop small amount of ash from the firebox and transfer it to a pasta ladle (picture below) and shift it in the ash bucket, leaving unstrained coal in the ladle to be returned to the box. I know it’s labor intense…but I’m still in the early phase of wood burning and enjoying every aspect about it
1669485751014.png

I know folks who just shovel it all out into the metal ash bucket and then screen out the coals outdoors on a day with light breeze. Next fire they have they throw the coals back on the fire.

I clean out the ashes when the coals are still glowing. The heat they produce will make any ash that flies, even when dumping a shovel in the bucket standing right in front of the stove, be sucked right up the flue.

I use a metal cat poo scooper. For the ashes I have this works great. Depending on the type of wood and burning frequency, once a week to once a month.

I keep running across threads about separating coals. Sound like I need to invent a modified clam rake with the handle orientation adjusted 90*. Push to the back of the box, give a slight jiggle and dump the coals in a pile or hold them elevated and remove a little ash if needed.

The first one you could unbolt the fingers and put the handle on the other front spacer rod then the back rear spacer rod.

100DDA9C-DF34-4120-911C-8B40ED44C9D5.jpeg

The second one is closer, just a little too steep on the teeth.

E18C4ADE-813F-4B6F-AC42-3DB0158F1037.jpeg

I use this.
It's as light as you can get while being non-combustible. The holes are big enough to not have ash hang in there.

Ive heard of drilling holes into a small shovel too, but I never tried it. You have a GOOD idea there.....maybe make millions!! Ive seen coal/ash scuttles (sp?) on ebay, old ones. To move coals from one place to another I guess, or to the ash pile.

A spider basket or skimmer from the cooking store may be a good option. There are options with larger and smaller holes.
I imagine with some 1/2” rabbit wire and some 3/16 or 1/4” rod you could fashion one pretty easily.

EA082A62-C1E3-4DDE-BB07-9CE421D6F0CA.png

I have a jotul 602 one of the smallest stoves made, I have a tool that you can push or pull and I clean out the ash after pushing the coals to the rear. How you need to clean the ash every 12 hours is something I can’t figure out.

A spider basket or skimmer from the cooking store may be a good option. There are options with larger and smaller holes.
I imagine with some 1/2” rabbit wire and some 3/16 or 1/4” rod you could fashion one pretty easily.

View attachment 303932

Mine was half that price and with sturdier wire...

My $.02 - I've got a small insert. I find that just 'working' the ash/coals with the ash rake will compact the ash and cause the larger coals to work their way to the top. Corral the coals to one side and remove a couple shovels of mostly ash from the other side. As others have said, once a week should do it. If the wood isn't the best (mine isn't), you'll have more black coals after cool down.

Reactions: BillBurns
Was at lowes a bit ago and walked past some paint roller grates. I thought, hmmmm?? $4, What the heck.

C34D2BD0-1820-40D3-9B2C-8E937D84B8EF.jpeg

7C74F0BE-5D1D-43B4-87CE-EF67F50F41A5.jpeg
Tough to film and do one handed. I’m not amphibious.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillBurns
Most of the VC's have a grate with the ash pan underneath so you just move the ash around a little bit and leaves the coals on top. No worries on separation.

Thank You for the idea.....ive been looking for metal screen with the right size holes.....we are going o Lowes in the morning....its wort a shot for a few bucks, thanks for posting with photos.